Pedestal height for boat seat on bench seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhitjr

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to finish a project that I started several years ago. Getting closer but still not there. I have an '75 era Sears 14' 48" aluminum boat w/15 hp Evinrude that I'm working on. It has a typical pair of bench seats that I have installed painted 2x12's on. I intend to put a pedestal seat on both but wondering how to space the section between the bottom of the seat and the top of the bench. Do any of you have any thoughts on the pedestal spacing and should both be the same height? In addition, the aluminum base is pretty standard with 6 -1/4" screw holes. Would you use SS wood screws or SS machine screws with a 'tee" installed from the bottom of the 2 x 12's? At age 65, I won't give it a lot of heavy usage. Thanks.

Standard pedestal posts are 13" (way too short if you ask me) I prefer 17"-18" from floor to top of seat. Depends on your height really, but with advancing years the taller seats are easier to manage!

Thanks guys. The tee nuts are a no-brainer. Thanks. On the height issue, it's a little more difficult. The aluminun bench seat are 12" from the floor. Add the 1.5' board, a small petestal base and mount at 8" combined, the seat and I am at 25.5" from the floor. By cutting the pedestal an inch or so, i'm at 24.5". Is this too tall? Thanks.

Hate to restart an old thread but how did you keep the benches from flexing so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My two tinnys both had a large, strong piece of 3/4 plywood under it. The plywood extended all of the way across and filled the full depth of the seat.

In fact, one of them, a 20-year-old Lowe had an additional slab of aluminum on top of the 3/4 plywood and the seat pedestal was bolted through both the plywood and the aluminum. No flex on either boat. I am 250 lbs and think I would have felt any flex, if there was any to be felt.

richg99

I think I understand what you do and I assume you removed all the foam out from under the bench as well? I'm trying to draw the picture of it in my head

Oops sorry richg99 it was supposed to be directed at you and your setup

lg...thanks.

I guess I am just an old fuddy-duddy and I won't remove foam....unless I could replace it someplace else.

The manufacturers have to follow the Coast Guard guidelines, so they put xx amount of foam in the original boat. Pulling that foam out to make storage areas sounds good until your boat sinks with you in it.

I just bought a new 1652 G3 hull to replace my old leaky tinny. I'd LOVE to cut a big opening in both the foredeck and the stern deck and drop in some storage boxes. But, I won't do it. Lord knows, that boat doesn't have enough natural storage for all of my junk. Guess I'll just have to learn to bring less crap along.

Ha Ha regards, richg99

I'm in the same boat I don't like taking foam out unless I can replace it somewhere else