How long does Non Ethanol Fuel last?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyHook

Reaction score
I found out I will not be able to get out to fish for about 1-2 months. I am wondering how long my non ethanol fuel will last? I think there is only a total of 3 gallons sitting there and its covered so it wont be getting hot or exposed to the weather.

I thought I heard before that non ethanol can last 4-5 months but from checking online I could only find random posts ranging from 90 days to a year...

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Up here in the Northeast, we pull our boats out for the winter in October and the ethanol fuel has been fine when we re-launched in May of the following year. Of course, we did stabilize the gas (Stabil, etc) and we've had no issues.

I just dump whatever is left in the mower or truck and run the outboard dry.

That way all is good to go when it comes fishing time.

I've let ethanol 2-stroke gas sit for about 6 weeks with no issues.

Any longer than that, and I'd use it in your mower or something. A lawn mower won't care if it has a little 2-stroke oil in it.

Boat is kept across town at a family members house so I am not really able to get to it in order to empty the tank.

I am only wondering if I am able to get back out in the next 30-45 days would the fuel still be ok?

ask your buddy to take your boat out at least once a week,
catch a lot of fish - don't put in new gas.........

but on the serious side - - - when you get back, if the fuel has that funky smell,
give it to your buddy to run in his lawn mower.
put fresh gas in your boat tank with a little SeaFoam and run it to clean the carb . . . done deal.

LOL when I suggested putting the gas in your car - I forget that some
people have new cars. My cars are a 1996 Jeep Cherokee and a
1997 Dodge B3500 van . . . LOL They would run on cottage cheese if
I could get it pushed through the fuel injectors. So sticking with the yard
implements would be best.

It will be fine, if you are worried about it add some stabil. I have kept gas way longer than that.

Yes, I made the mistake of putting a few gallons of premixed gas in my truck... bad idea. Ran like poop about 5 seconds after I started it- was amazed at how fast and how much of an effect it had. I had a check engine light for 3 tanks of gas. Don't do it! Bonfire instead... :twisted:

You should be fine. When I don't plan on running my motor for a while I make sure the tank is full. Less area for condensation so less water. Ethanol free gas of course. Never had a problem doing it this way.

Steve A W said:
The gas in My tank was mixed in April, I'm going fishin next week.
I treat mine with Sea foam.

Same here.. Any time I buy gas I put Sea Foam in it right away.. It eliminates any worries if I can't run something for a while.. :fishing:

jethro said:
Yes, I made the mistake of putting a few gallons of premixed gas in my truck... bad idea. Ran like poop about 5 seconds after I started it- was amazed at how fast and how much of an effect it had. I had a check engine light for 3 tanks of gas. Don't do it! Bonfire instead... :twisted:

Really?? I have done that many times never saw any difference at all but, I usually have a half a tank of gas before I dump old or mixed gas in. I can't see it causing any problems at all, really. I also use old or old mixed gas in the lawn mower as well, again not difference in performance.

Also I have never bought Non-ethanol gas, I can't see paying the price for it. I usually keep my tank empty and when I take it out it gets fresh gas. I have never had any issues. I do put stabil or seafoam or starbite or other additive in the gas though. What ever I find at the time they are all pretty good. Sentry is my favorite, mainly because it has good corrosion inhibitors in it. Ethanol attracts water and water causes corrosion.

surfman said:
jethro said:

Really?? I have done that many times never saw any difference at all but, I usually have a half a tank of gas before I dump old or mixed gas in. I can't see it causing any problems at all, really. I also use old or old mixed gas in the lawn mower as well, again not difference in performance.

Also I have never bought Non-ethanol gas, I can't see paying the price for it. I usually keep my tank empty and when I take it out it gets fresh gas. I have never had any issues. I do put stabil or seafoam or starbite or other additive in the gas though. What ever I find at the time they are all pretty good. Sentry is my favorite, mainly because it has good corrosion inhibitors in it. Ethanol attracts water and water causes corrosion.

Yep, my truck is a 2013 Toyota Tacoma. I had more than a half tank and I put just under 2 gallons of pre-mixed 40:1 in the truck and it chugged and popped and ran like crap for that entire tank. Took 3 tanks to clear the check engine light. Will not do that again!!

40:1 is a little rich, I was using 50:1 but still can't see how it would effect it at all. But I'll take your word for it mine had no effect at all.

Latest posts