Painting with electric sprayer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
Are there any aluminum paints out there that you can't use in an electric paint sprayer?

I'm wanting to spray a colored paint on an aluminum boat with an electric sprayer. Just wondering if those colored paints that are made for painting aluminum boats are ok to use in those kind of sprayers. Do they need to be thinned before pouring in the sprayer, or are they good to spray right out of the can?

yes, you can spray any latex or oil based paint through
the Wagner style sprayer. That is what they were designed for.
Whatever paint you choose, read, understand and follow the
application directions as well as the safety concerns.
If I remember correctly, the Wagner has an adjustment knob for
the viscosity of the product you are spraying. Just play around
with it until it suits your skill level.
Check the good ole YouTube !! MANY good tutorials on how to
paint with the electric paint sprayer. They are basically the same.
Doesn't matter if it is a Wagner or Harbor Freight .

Basically, I would add a little thinner to the paint and practice on
something first, prior to painting the real thing.
Have a paint brush at the ready to address any runs and drips.
you WILL have runs and drips !!! so just use the paint brush to
make it look good. Several light coats will be far more durable than one heavy coat.

When I say add thinner - it is water for latex base and mineral spirits for oil base.
Clean the sprayer as soon as you are done...... the longer paint sits in the nozzle,
the more difficult it is to clean. Apply a little vaseline to moving parts for storage.

For a novice painter, I would not suggest any kind of two-part paints such as epoxy, etc.

I'll tell you what...I had one of those wagner electric sprayers, and it was junk. It didn't spray, it splattered. It didn't make a fine mist - it looked more like I'd put a bunch of paint in my mouth and then spit it at the wall. Big waste of money.

I've had great luck with rust-oleum paints. I don't spray but use a very short nap roller, 4 or 6 inch. If the boat is cleaned and primed it comes out looking like it was sprayed on. Google or Youtube up the subject and you will see some fantastic results and learn alot about how to get very nice results.
My latest boat, 14' Mirro-Craft is done with sand sides and gray bottom and interior and looks great. Also have done a 12' Mirro and am now restoring a 14' Valco and will use the same technique. Next on the list is 11' 6" Montgomery Wards vintage 1960's.
I have a compressor and spray equip but find the roller is much less trouble.
Love those old tin boats.

I've painted 2 boats with the HF power sprayer. Ended up thinning the rustoleum paint considerably with acetone, but it worked just fine.
The only issue experienced was starting the sprayer and getting low on paint in the cup. Both of those resulted in large droplets being sprayed. Both can be avoided.