What would you do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dashunde

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking around for awhile and now that I have sold my Champion (I dont fish... I know, blasphemy), I have decided to get a small jon and put the rest towards a larger family cruiser/ski boat.
A large fiberglass for large rough lakes 2 hours away, and a small jon for putzing around on local rivers and larger creeks 10 minutes away on any given afternoon.

I'm partially organizing my thoughts on what to buy here, and seeking your input too.

Anyway, here goes...
I have a really nice/clean 1975 Evinrude 15hp that I have; rebuilt the carb, replaced impeller, thermostat, fuel pump, fuel lines, lube and lower seals.
It now runs smooth and strong with 115psi on each cylinder (thanks to LeeRoy's Ramblings).
It's so clean that even the threads tapped through the block are bright and shining.
Despite its good disposition now, its still old and I dont know its history or what has been rebuilt, or not.

I also have a nice little 1994 2hp Yamaha that runs really well. (for lazy days mostly floating along on a small river/creek)

I've been wanting a new semi-V Alweld 1442vvds or 1444fvds and a new trailer go with my motor.
My dilemma is I know a guy who is selling a 2014 Tracker 1542, 2011 Mercury 4-stroke 15 bough new in 2013, and a 2011 galvanized Bear trailer
Its all in great condition and he's selling it for $2500, maybe a bit less if I beg.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems like a great deal even if it is a full flat bottom with thinner metal and rivets, no?

I'd order the Alweld in bare aluminum... can be shined back up every year or so, and will not get all scratched up looking after pulling it over river rocks in a few shallow sections.
My old motor is also about 40 pounds lighter than the new Mercury 4-stroke. (I'm already 230 pounds plus stuff)

The new Alweld will run me about $2700 with a trailer, but at the end of the day I'll still be running a 40 year old motor... I'm simply not sure how smart that is.

I guess it really just boils down to how reliable my old motor proves to be doesn't it...?

Which way would you go?

What would I do?

1st - Welcome :p)

2nd - please complete your profile so we know where abouts you hail from.

Tin Boats is a big community - and local [to you] information will be most valuable.

3rd - why not do both? Scoop the good deal and keep the old 2 stroke and putter with them.

I would buy the 15 footer from your friend, sell the old 15 horse, keep the 2 horse for a trolling motor. But it depends on what you plan on doing with the boat, if a V hull is better for your needs I would get the v. If a flat bottom will suffice, get the flat bottom.

Thanks, I'm not really sure what hull type is better for me...
One day I'll be floating it slowly on shallow'ish creeks with the 2 horse, the next outing might be on the Missouri River and its tributaries at 20+mph.
It'll get drug now and then on the smaller creeks, and beached on the Missouri's sandbars.

The Alweld can be had in a 1444fvds, which is a completely flat bottom transom with a V nose and dual seats.
My other option is their 1442. Its a 5deg transom, V nose and dual seats.

Either way I go, I'll keep the old Evinrude around, perhaps use it in the more "rugged" environments, plus its lighter, might draft a inch or so less and will be easier to drag if needed.
That, and I have to get some ownership satisfaction out of it after spending so many hours working on it and studying it.

Ideally, I'll be able to pry the newer Tracker away for $2000, sell off the hull, keep the motor and trailer, then order a new Alweld over the winter.

Just for the record... is the 1 year old Tracker, with a new-in-2013 Merc 15 and a 2009 trailer for $2000-$2500 a really good deal, or just kind of ok?

Well, my friend backed out... then calls me a few days after I bought another boat and says he does want to go ahead and sell it.

It worked out well though...
I ended up with 2005 Lowe MV1462 and 2005 Yamaha F15 all on a nice trailer.
It was used once then stored inside under cover for nearly ten years.
It is all absolutely like new.
And the big bonus is it even fits in my 3rd car garage with its folding tongue and still leaves room for the mowers and tractor.

I'm not really sure what to do with this boat though... it handles rough water well, but not really rough/shallow environments (deep-v and .050 metal) and its too nice to drag over gravel and beat up on small rivers.
There are no public small/medium lakes around here

I think I'd like to trade my very nice 4-stroke 15hp for a similar condition 2-stroke 25hp and put forward controls on it at the center seat... better balance/handling and would good for our larger rivers.
Then add a 1032, 1036, or flat-back canoe for floating and beating around on the small rivers using my old 2hp Yamaha. That can be hung from the garage ceiling and tossed in the back of the truck.

again, welcome to the Tin Boats community.

You will find it easier to receive more positive feedback on your inquires
when you let us know where you are from (in your profile) and
PHOTOS of what you have or what you are looking for.

Personally, I prefer rivets over welds in the older vintage boats just
because it is easier to address any leak issues. But, in my area,
I don't have rocky rivers or rough terrain lakes so beating up a bottom is not an issue.

Also, from the Nautical Hoarders corner, if I could, I would collect every good running
Johnson motor and vintage (pre-1960) tin boat I could find.