New to Forum - Fly Fishing, Boat Pics & Trailer Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LelandFlyFish

Reaction score
First post. This is Casey from Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters.. If anyone ever has any fly fishing related questions don't hesitate to PM me. I can help with anything from gear, to casting, destinations, etc. Advertisement Over...

I just picked up my first boat to chase stripers on the Napa / Petaluma rivers here in Northern California. Sonoma to be exact. Also for bass on some reservoirs nearby and trout in the Sierra foothills.

1. Anyone know the make of this craft? It was re-registered in 2013 as a new boat. The owner said it was a pond boat its whole life. It's 12'.

2. Included was a nicely running 1988 Evinrude 9.9. Thoughts on this motor? Anything to watch out for, tips / tricks?

3. He already decked the boat somewhat and gave it an actually tasteful camo paint job I think. I don't plan to do much to the boat other than mod it a bit for fly fishing, and keep the decking in good shape. We'll see what happens after a few outings.

4. Check out the leak, that was after about a 30 minute maiden voyage. I don't find it too concerning? but I might add a bilge or fix the leak if I can find it.

4. I have two trailers. The included trailer is bent, and won't be used. I have a nice straight reliable trailer that was used to carry prams but it needs some work to carry this boat. Does anyone have any resources on taking measurements for the bunk design for easy launching and loading? The included trailer layout made it really tough to launch and a legitimate boat launch. I plan to keep the wood bottom on the new trailer, push the bow stop up a few feet. It just needs bunks and a few center rollers I think?

Attachments

• boatonwater.jpg
    boatonwater.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 671
  • boatdeck.jpg
    boatdeck.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 671
  • boatstern.jpg
    boatstern.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 671
  • leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 671
  • boatbow.jpg
    boatbow.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 671
  • boatside.jpg
    boatside.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 671
  • newtrailer.jpg
    newtrailer.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 671
No stars on the stern corners but not a big deal.

Have a question about the leak. I took it out for about a 2.5 hour ride up the Napa river on Saturday. The boat was loaded down with two us, a small dog and this time the trolling motor and battery mounted in the rear. 1, this is when weight distribution comes into to play. Along with a full tank of gas it didn't want to plane too easily but it did manage with the 9.9.

2, The leak was a bit of a concern. I would say over that time period it took on 3/4 gallon in the rear. Is this normal with these old boats, there are quite a few dings and dents in the bottom. The hull would flex over big waves which made a loud noise but maybe flexing is better than cracking?

Just not sure if I should get a basic bilge setup and turn it on when it gets about an inch deep in the back or if I should try and find the leaks. With the painted bottom and deck installed this may be a chore. Any suggestions?

LelandFlyFish said:
Just not sure if I should get a basic bilge setup and turn it on when it gets about an inch deep in the back or if I should try and find the leaks. With the painted bottom and deck installed this may be a chore. Any suggestions?

Fill it with water in the driveway and look for leaks.

I'd also remove the ply from the trailer. You'll need access to the trailer beams to mount the supports for the bunks.

Man...
Nice rig.... I used to have a small 12ft glass with a '88 Johnson 14hp SPL outboard. Looked almost identical. Let that outboard warm up 3-5 min and it'll run like a champ all day! I am doing some warm water fly fishing over on the east coast, so much fun! She wasn't pretty but a fishing machine!

Latest posts