John boat recommendations?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20022

Reaction score
Need help deciding. I'd like to find dieting i can take the wife out in and not be bouncing all over ( she's top heavy). Something that will do 25 plus with a 20 or 25 horse power outboard. And lastly something i can fix up. Any recommendations are welcome. I would even consider 60s- 2015. 14ft+ is preferred. Thanks!

48+ wide is your friend... Bigger the better... Search craigslist, coming up on the time of year folks start to unload their boat at decent prices

Third on the 48" motion

New riveted jons aren't as expensive as you may think. My alums craft 1648 NCS can be had for 2300. And the options to customize are endless.

I have a 25 4stroke Yamaha and it will push me alone at 30 mph on a calm day. No problem hitting mid 20s w a second man.

Catch Release Repeat said:
Third on the 48" motion

New riveted jons aren't as expensive as you may think. My alums craft 1648 NCS can be had for 2300. And the options to customize are endless.

I have a 25 4stroke Yamaha and it will push me alone at 30 mph on a calm day. No problem hitting mid 20s w a second man.
Thanks! I'll check out that 1648

Texas Prowler said: I reckon longer is better?

Not necessarily. But, you will have a hard time finding width in a short boat.
Just take a breath and go over what you will be using the boat for, most of the time.
How many people will be with you, most of the time.
And, what kind of motor will you put on it.
Will you carry the boat in the back of your truck or on a trailer.
Will it be tiller steer or remote.
Then, do the math. At the end of the day, it is your call.
Just keep in mind . . . . Mo wider = Mo betta !!
Happy and Safe Boating !!

Barefoot_Johnny said:
Texas Prowler said: I reckon longer is better?

Not necessarily. But, you will have a hard time finding width in a short boat.
Just take a breath and go over what you will be using the boat for, most of the time.
How many people will be with you, most of the time.
And, what kind of motor will you put on it.
Will you carry the boat in the back of your truck or on a trailer.
Will it be tiller steer or remote.
Then, do the math. At the end of the day, it is your call.
Just keep in mind . . . . Mo wider = Mo betta !!
Happy and Safe Boating !!
Thanks Johnny. Im looking for something i will be able to transport maybe 4 people in if need be. It will be trailered. Off need to be fast 25+ when loaded. Something comfortable for the ladies[emoji6] and durable at best.

Personally, I have a 1648 MV with a 50hp outboard and it can
very easily accommodate 3 or 4 people and reaches the mid-30s in speed.
However, it is currently only outfitted for two people due to the fact
that the P/O was a Bass Tournament fisherman and has a lot of wasted space.
so it is only comfortable for two at the moment. It is a side console.

If just to ferry people to and from, and family cruising, you are moving out of the
Jon Boat world into regular V hull boating..... example: high sides and larger motor.
I have had more cruisers than fishing boats. Mostly wood or fiberglass. Only 4 Tins
in my lifetime. (still looking for that old vintage 1860 Tin).
You may want to peek over the fence to "The Dark Side" of wood.
I am currently working on a vintage 15 foot cruiser pushed by a 40hp Johnson that was
designed to seat six comfortably. VERY stable, VERY wide. But, it takes a love of
the craft, it takes some skills, it takes $$$$ to make it happen. But, that is in my genes.
Borum Boat - Day 1 001.JPG
Borum Boat - Day 1 002.JPG
Borum Boat day-2 006.JPG

jus my Dos Centavos

Good Luck !!

Thanks man! Yea 4 folks in would just be cruising around. I mostly just use the boat for transportation to a secluded bank and fish from there. Though I'd like to get the wife and in-laws out once in a while for a cruise.

Latest posts