Seat base

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve A W

Reaction score
I have a Swivel Eze 3/4" Pin Pedestal Base from Cabelas.
Put the seat in and it went in hard. When I got home the seat wouldn't
come out. I finally had my nephew pull it out (He's a strong lad).
I pulled the base and it doesn't look bad in the hole. I wonder if
it has rusted between the pipe and bushing?
Has anybody had trouble with this?

Steve A W

When did you purchase it?
if it seems to be an issue you can't fix, take it back and exchange it.
Take a steel straight edge to see if the male shaft may be a little bent.
- or -
If it appears to be a little rusty, take some Wet or Dry sandpaper
and remove all the rust from the male end.
Get a dowel, stick, bolt, or something that you can do the same with
for the female end.
You will get 20 different opinions of how to do it and what oil or grease
to prevent it from happening again. Maintenance - Just plain old Maintenance.

jus my Dos Centavos

Steve A W said:
Has anybody had trouble with this?
SOLVED! See picture ...

I sure did, have experienced this myself, even on a boat where I used a SS seat base and SS seat pin that were all greased up with OMC 'Triple Guard' marine grease, albeit the BEST synthetic marine grease on the market.

It was like ... WTH? These are SS parts covered in grease and/or other lube, WHY :?: are they stuck together? Then it hit me ... the 2 parts were 'bonded' together due to what's called a vacuum lock, though some erroneously refer to it as a hydro lock (which is not a correct use of that term). Quite simply, it means that if/when you insert a male piece into a female mating piece, where the fit together is really tight, as also happens with taper fits like steering wheel helms, then you can experience them 'locking' together.

This occurrence is actually well documented and annotated in OMC/Bombardier service manuals when re-inserting a propshaft into the powerhead, say like after a LU or impeller/waterpump service. One is cautioned NOT to add any grease to the top-most section of the splines to the top of the propshaft, so as to prevent such a 'lock' from occurring and preventing future service.

I have access to machine tools, so I just milled a shallow rounded groove into the pin shaft, but one could do so with simple hand tools, e.g., Dremel, or even a hacksaw if you went elliptically (is that a word :?: ?) around the shaft, like a really long candy cane pattern.

Worked for me :mrgreen: !

Attachments

• Pin.png
    Pin.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 256