inside gunwale flotation sponson on 13' S/C Alaskan removal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For lack of a better name. The foam filled 6" wide compartment along the inside of the gunwale of a two bench seats, open middle 1992 13' Smoker Craft Alaskan AFO. Looking for a way to remove the flooring on this boat for a top to bottom cleaning. Previous owner drill two 1" holes in the coated plywood floor to drain water to the back of the boat when the boat filled with rain .Tried to hose from front under the floor and water barely trickled to the back with the boat on a incline on the trailer. Is there foam under the wood flooring. It looks like I will have to remove the side flotation compartments to lift out the flooring. They are riveted in place. The manufacture says the weight of the boat should be 225# I can barely lift a back corner up, which why I'm thinking that there is water logged foam under the floor and in the side flotation compartments. Thanks for any help will be greatly appreciated. Just purchased a tablet and don't know how to run the camera on it yet. [-o< , Randy

wow that's a lot of carpet. Nice looking boat, btw
Start in the area with the least resistance.
pull up some carpet, try to get the plywood free to inspect the foam.
Your investigations will dictate how to proceed.
Most people here end up tearing the whole thing down to bare hull
and starting over with the correct foam. Plus, a new design may come into play.
Once you get into it, you will know what has to be done.
and since you know it is too heavy from being waterlogged, you sort of know the outcome.
Good Luck !!

There is no carpet. The floor is layered with fiberglassed like vinyl covered plywood and the sides are factory gray splatter paint. The S/C boat in the picture is not mine but is just like mine. The tall side compartments are sealed and overlap the floor. ...https://images.craigslist.org/00v0v_ifKt8LKTafL_600x450.jpg. Am not talking about the square box but the long rectangle one that is mounted to the sides of the boat..Randy

An inspection plate ( or many inspection plates) will give you access to find out what you have.

https://www.westmarine.com/deck-plates

My guess, as already posted above, is that the whole mess will have to come out, whatever the process that is needed.

But, for a few bucks, you can cut a smallish hole in your flooring and find out what is under there.

Buy the plate first; use a router with a very limited depth; and cut away. Don't cut too deep, or you will cause more trouble than you need.

richg99

Has anyone ever taken the floor off of a 13' or 14' S/C Alaskan. In my internet searches I can find no references to that the floored S/C utility boats having foam under them. Guess a call to the S/C manufacture is my next move before I start cutting holes and removing rivet's. (Thanks for the inspection cover hint Richg99). Thanks, Randy

Latest posts