1967 STARCRAFT MARINER V -16 FOOT FOUND "OUT IN THE WEEDS"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

Well, I've been "out looking about" for vintage boats again & found the boat/trailer listed above "out in the brush" & "looking unloved". - It has had the entire interior removed & is essentially a "bare tin hull".
(I "think" that it's likely a 1967 or 68 model.)

The current owner of the land has NO idea whose the rig is, though it has been on his land since he bought the property in 1999. - According to the TPWD "ownership & registration records", the last known owner is either deceased OR has left Texas, several years ago. - The boat was last registered in 1994.
(Presuming that I can get the boat/trailer "titled"/registered in TX, I'd like to restore it as a dedicated "bay fishing machine", using an "old school" 35HP Johnnyrude BigTwin in good condition, that I already have.)

Have any of our members restored or "mildly remodeled" a Mariner V, 16 footer?? IF at least one of you have done such a project, do you have advice for "renovation" of this big tin utility (and hopefully some good photos, as I don't care to "reinvent the wheel".), that you would be willing to share??

THANKS for reading this, satx

Texas can be very tough, especially the trailer people, on unregistered/unlicensed gear.

I bought a trailer here in TN. Nice, nearly new, but with NO numbers of any kind on it. They didn't need them here as, at the time, there was no registration nor licensing for a small trailer.

I was all set to bring it home to Houston, but I talked to the licensing people first. The lady said that the TX police would take it "to see if it was stolen"...and I would NEVER get it back. All that, even though I had a bill of sale from the owner.

I don't know what the procedure might be as to your boat. richg99

richg99,

HOW VERY TRUE. = The Texas boat titling system for OLD boats/motors/trailers is FOOLISH, "slap-dash", DISCRIMNATORY & seemingly designed to "not be a bother to" the people who work for TPWD. - All too many of their staff seem to revel in doing NOTHING.
(In my experience, hardly ANY of their employees "go out of their way" to be HELPFUL to customers.)

ONCE I have a firm answer on whether or not they will let me title/register the boat, I'll consider parting with the $$$$$$$$$$ to buy it.

yours, satx

Latest posts