1652 express back bench mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassgas

Reaction score
My back bench has 2 pods that are connected on top and front I'm wondering if I cut them apart if I will have problems with the strength of the boat

I don't know the specifics of your boat but anytime you remove supporting structure the hull looses rigidity... I was going to remove the middle bench of mine but between losing the support and foam I decided to just deck over the whole front half. There are many guys who can give you much more info than I.... Good luck with your build and as always..... Give us pictures!

My 16' Xpress had two aluminum boxes that ran from the rear bench to the transom. the gas and battery compartment was between them.

While I don't think they added anything to the side structure of the boat, they were filled with foam and did strengthen the transom as the were welded to the transom, floor, and side of the boat. they were not welded to the rear bench.

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,318
Personally I would leave it as it looks like a good spot to hide your gas can and battery ( my 14ft crestliner has the same style rear seat). Why do you want to cut it?

I thought about removing it because the bench is so wide it's hard to reach the tiller handle but I think I might try to add a tiller extinction

I have the same arrangement on my 1648 Lowe tinny, but it is a side console. It certainly looks like it would be a major structural support.

The tiller extension can also move your weight a bit forward, which may be a good thing when getting up on plane.

richg99

You can also notch out the front portion of the middle. Think SeaArk duck models, Polarkraft makes this too, I'll see if I can find some pics.

Here is what I was thinking:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20278