New guy, first post

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFortner5

Reaction score
Hey everyone this looks like a great forum with tons of info.

Like many before me I'm here because I am interested in picking up a little boat to go fishing/riding around in.

I live within 30 minutes of a pretty good sized lake here in Alabama on the Coosa river. There are a couple little private lakes I have access to as well (trolling motor only).

I'm 6'1" 205lbs, and I'd bring my son who is 6 years old and about 45lbs. I have a GMC Sierra with a 6.5' bed to haul a boat.

I'll be buying used so the market will dictate what I end up with but I'm not even really sure what I should look for. I want to be able to go out on the bigger lakes occasionally but I'd only go on nice days and there isn't a ton of boat traffic. I really want something I can toss in the truck and go fishing. I'm not sure I want to fool with a trailer. A 12' is probably what I should look for right? I think a 1236 would work for me but if I can find a wider one that would be nice.

If possible I'd like to be able to run 15-20mph on the bigger lakes.

Thanks,
Joey

:WELCOME: I would get the widest boat you can afford/find and a14 footer would be much better for two people. I would look for a 1448.

I can slide my 14' Sears Gamefisher in the back of my '02 Sierra with a 6.5 bed with no issue, as long as I remove the motor before putting it in. Only issue would be the ability for you to get a 1448 in by yourself, as your 6 year old won't be able to help much.

It'll fit though.

Good luck!

IMHO a 1448 would be a bear to handle without a trailer. A lightweight 1436 would be much easier. Add a 6 or 8 hp johnnyrude and you'd be in business.

I'd much rather have a 14' I just wasn't sure I could haul it without a trailer. I wouldn't be going far with it so it should be fine.

Thanks for the responses,
Joey

Joey, welcome aboard. . . .

may we inquire as to why you are leaning towards the truck carry vs a trailer ?
You being so tall and the youngun so little, I would worry about the
tipsy-turvy syndrome for the beginner boatsman in a 12 footer.
Whatever you get, I would suggest a few outings solo before taking any passengers along.
After more experience, you would pretty much know your limits.
And everyone here will strongly emphasize - more wider = more better = more safer.
Try to remember my personal rules for the new boater . . . . .
#1 - never go past the point that you can comfortably swim.
#2 - never go past the point that you can safely swim pulling a 45 pound child.
1032 - never
1036 - never
1232 - nope
1234 - strictly solo
1236 - maybe
1448 - recommended

jus my Dos Centavos

Hi and welcome
I have a 12/36 flat bottom Jon with a 9.8 4- stroke. I'm 5'5" at 160lb, it's pretty stable with just me.
But when I put my 80lb Lab in there with me, I have to watch where he's at when I go to move around. When I catch a fish and he gets excited and comes over to the same side of the boat I'm on, it can geta little shakey. It can get kinda spooky if I'm reaching over the edge to grab the fish and he comes over to check out the catch.
I am looking for a 14/48 or bigger too. Just to be more stable.

Just food for thought

Okay guys I finally got home and on my computer instead of my phone after a busy day.

I should have mentioned that while this would be my first boat, I have been around boats since I was a small kid. I grew up fishing and boating in south Florida, and continued when we moved to Alabama.

As for the trailer vs truck bed thing...

My dad owns a house about a mile from mine. The neighborhood it's in has a small stocked lake. I can fish it whenever but there is no ramp. I thought it would be easier for me to have something I could put in my bed and drive over there real quick after work or whenever. However, the bigger lakes are about 30 minutes away and there are plenty of ramps around them. I think the best way might be to have something I could fit in the bed without an outboard for the little lake but then put on a trailer with an outboard for the bigger water.

Also now that I have had more time to think about what I want to do, I need to be able to fish comfortably with another adult in the boat. I don't really care about being able to stand and fish, but I'd like to have a pedestal seat in the front and back, at least something that swivels. So it would either be me and my son, me and my grand father, or maybe just a friend. I could see maybe having two adults and my son at some point but that's not a big factor right now.

I just want something simple I can get out and fish from. I don't really even have a budget in mind yet I'm still trying to get a feel of what I can get a decent boat for. Prices are all over the place.

I pretty much am set on a 1448 though.

Just so you can't say no one ever told you, GET A 1648!

It'll save you from upgrading in 2-3 years :LOL2:

Joey said - I have been around boats since I was a small kid.
I grew up fishing and boating in south Florida, and continued when we moved to Alabama.

Then you should already know your limits as to safe boating with others.
X2 with Ictalurus: Just so you can't say no one ever told you,
GET A 1648! It'll save you from upgrading in 2-3 years

And I would cut down the upgrading from 2-3 years down to a month or so
. . . if you got anything smaller.

jus my Dos Centavos

After looking around more on Craigslist, I've seen some 16' boats that are close to my price range.

I think that's the route I'm gonna take. If I find a nice wide 14 for a good price I'd take it but I'm so close to several bigger lakes I think a little bigger boat would be nice.

I'm not in a big hurry and I'm waiting on my old truck to sell before I do anything. Hopefully the prices will come down a little when it gets colder.

Just to update this I'm still waiting on this guy to buy my old truck. I've been looking at all of my options and I'm down to two choices, I think:

A 10' plastic pontoon with a trolling motor, bass raider/pond prowler type thing. It would get me on the water at least for the small local lakes and ponds.

Or, 1236 or 1436 jon. I'd like a 1448 but I just don't think I'd be able to get it into the ponds. I can only park my truck about 50' from the water so that's my dilemna.

I've also thought about a Scanoe but that's the last option I think.

Like I said I'll be buying used so I should be able to sell whatever I get when I'm ready to upgrade and maybe not lose much if any. I'm not opposed to a trailer to take the boat to the bigger lakes but I'd like to be able to unload it from the truck myself and maybe build a little cart to roll to the pond.

Perhaps not right now, but I see two boats as the answer. To launch in a small lake (pond) a small boat is the first choice.

I (5'9" - 240lbs and a buddy 6'2" - 260lbs) fish out of a 12" jon on two small watershed lakes (ponds) and do well. Not comfortable for more than a couple hours and gear is limited.

We also fish in much larger lakes (Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley). But we do NOT fish them in the 12' jon.

Between us we have; the 12' jon, a 14' jon, a 1648 jon with a 25, and a 18' with a 70. With all these we cover all the possibilities. We could not put the big river boat in the ponds any easier than we could fish the river in the 12'.

This is a case where a compromise solution is either dangerous or very uncomfortable. I would say pick where you will be doing MOST of your fishing at first and solve that situation. Perhaps the small boat that fits in the truck, and then keep an eye out for something bigger for the bigger water.

Also remember that renting a bigger boat for the bigger water is an option and will give you an idea what you do and don't like about a boat in a particular situation.

What ever you choose make sure you keep records of what is good and what is bad so the next boat (and yes there will be a next boat) decision will be one a bit more informed than the previous one.

JFortner5 said:
Like I said I'll be buying used so I should be able to sell whatever I get when I'm ready to upgrade nd maybe not lose much if any.

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Dude, find a used canoe online if you want to carry something in. You won't like moving around a jon and the canoe will be just about as stable as the boats you mentioned.

Yeah I'm starting to see that two boats is the answer. It is a compromise for sure, a tiny boat in a big lake is no good and vice versa.

I'm gonna probably go for the 2 man plastic boat for now. That will get me on the water for next to nothing and then when I can save some more I'll get something a little bigger. My dad has a tracker pro team 175 I could use if I wanted and I've got a few friends with boats too.

Thank you guys for the replies.

I have a 14X48 MV with a 18hp motor on it. Fortunately I have a trailer also. I would not go any small than a 14X48 since I am 69yo with medical problems. It is very stable and very safe and is big enough. Look at this and maybe it will help you make up your mind.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSl3wT9UrBIwm9ESOxD1h8lOzX2ttoQcN-0S9oozsu0OMp0xwc8

Attachments

• rack71boEPPKoPL__SL1300_.jpg
    rack71boEPPKoPL__SL1300_.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 176
Thanks yeah those are nice. With my tailgate down in my truck I have about 8' of bed.

Johnny you are right, if I could I'd have about 5 boats. Probably about 5 different trucks/cars too lol.

Latest posts