First time poster - Tracker 170tx 50hp 4 stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhawker5

Reaction score
Hello all.
I have been reading here a lot, while I had an old Tracker Pro 16. I recently upgraded to a 2009 Pro Team 170 TX, Merc 50 hp 4 stroke.
I really like the boat, but I have question/concern. When I accelerate, it stands up on it's hind end and all I can see is sky, until it gets up to speed. It does plane and does 31mph by GPS. I have been lurking/reading about various causes, one of which is having the motor mounted to low.
So, I did some looking and mine is mounted as low as it will go. The funny thing is that the paint shows me that once upon a time it was mounted 3 holes higher. Tracker support says it is right, but if anyone else has a similar setup, could I see a picture of how high your motor is mounted?

The first pic is a straight edge off of the lowest point of the hull.

Thanks!
Scott

Attachments

• 8974.jpg
    8974.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 20150908_114100.jpg
    20150908_114100.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 20150908_114130.jpg
    20150908_114130.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 211
I had a '04 PT 175 with a 60 2s and had the same issue as you. I'm assuming yours is similar to mine in that the 16-20 gal gas tank is in the back, the TM and cranking batteries are back there as well, as well as the heavy 4s motor, so there is part/most of the problem, lots of weight. Look at some tracker boats at rest on the water, and you'll see they are butt heavy in most cases.

The pic of the cav plate and straight edge looks good, you might could go higher but then water pick/cooling could become an issue.

You can try doing some weight distribution testing, such as putting some 5 gal buckets of water up front to simiulate moving the TM battery to a forward storage compartment (have less gas in the boat), try not having any water in the livewell (mine was right behind the seats on the rear deck). If this testing shows some improvement, then you'll have to make some decisions on whether you want to to the mods or not.

I've seen lots of trackers with the fins on the OB, so some like 'em, and read where they help with planing issues but no 1st hand experience with 'em. something else to consider.

Latest posts