registration question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kfab31

Reaction score
hey guys im new here, just picked up an old Delhi 1434 jon, there is only one problem. it has no hin tag or capacity plate anywhere on it just a Delhi sticker on both sides of the boat. so here is my question, how the hell do i register it in new jersey? i really only plan on running an electric motor on it, most lake around me dont allow gas engine so i really have no use for any of that yet. but i guess according to nj state law anything over 12ft has to be registered regardless of if its a row boat or a motorized boat (correct me if im wrong). im pretty new to all this so any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It was probably built before 1972 when there was not law requiring a HIN. Go to the office that issues titles or registrations and tell them it's an older boat, pre HIN law. Depending on your state laws you may out of luck and find you have a boat you can't use. Always know your state laws before buying a boat without the necessary legal paperwork.

man that sucks! good thing it was only a hundred bucks! ill check out the dmv i guess and see what they say. iv heard of some people registering as "home built" without paperwork but that seem a little fishy to me considering its clearly a production boat.

Hopefully you can put it on C/L and get your $100 back.
If you sell it, all you can do is describe it the best you can W/O a HIN for the Bill of Sale.
in my area, scrap metal prices have dropped to $.03 per pound.
so a 100 pounds of scrap only brings $3.00.
Aluminum is a little more but don't know by how much.
and yes, it is very risky to try to slip a factory made anything past DMV as home built !!!!

Good Luck !!

In my past experience with a 12' tin w/o numbers, Florida issued me a clear title with a new
HIN that they generated. I had to have a form to declare it was a private boat, never registered,
never used in public waters, sold by the original owner. Did not even have to be Notarized.
No brand of maker was possible..... so I just put down 1958 Sears 12' Aluminum Boat and got a title.
Maybe your DMV has such a form - check it out.
Visit the MVC online at https://www.njmvc.gov, or call the MVC toll-free in New Jersey at (888) 486-3339

thanks guys! i took it out on a small pond today where no one ever checks anything, just wanted to test it out make sure it holds water out and so on. worked awesome no leaks and was surprisingly stable. i guess ill call the dmv the next time i have some free time and they are open and see what they have to say.

My best advice is to be PERSISTENT!! I spent over 6 months working on getting my boat and trailer registered. But it all finally worked out. Just had to jump through seemingly never ending DMV hoops to get it done.

Does it have registration numbers/letters on the side of it? My boat didn't have a hin number when I first bought it. I spoke with a lady at the marine police office and she sent me a copy of the registration. I took that and my bill of sale to our probate office and had no problem getting my boat registered. I went and got a piece of metal engraved with the hin and re riveted it to the transom. I do live in alabama and it may be easier here.

Good Luck....NJ is a PITA state for registration.
I inherited a 16' Discovery from a friend who passed away. I had a notarized letter from the executor and a copy of the registration.
The boat was never titled in Pa because it was older than the title law. No way I can get it titled in NJ and I need an original death certificate to title it in Pa. I'm waiting on the Death Certificate now... It takes 2 months to get one in Pa.....

Here in Ohio I believe that if there isn't any, you can contact the DNR watercraft division and they will inspect it for safety and then issue a number. I have a older 14 foot v bottom that I am trying to get a title for and this is what I have been told to do. Your DMV should be able to give you the correct information as to what to do.....:)

Latest posts