Modify ribs to run steering cables?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverrat717

Reaction score
Trying to run the steering cable down the bottom of the boat. Is it alright to cut a 1' hole in the sides of the rib to run cable through? No room anywhere else to run them.

no room here for cable end
20150919_174019_zpsscytrjm0.jpg

I would cut a hole then take a piece of aluminum tube that barley fits in the hole and have it welded in so the cable can slide through the tube. This way no structural integrity should be removed from the rib, which I believe just drilling a hole would do. Especially if running a gas motor in rough water...

Want to avoid welding as I know it can be done without. Where else is a good spot to run them? Down the sides is out as they are foam filled and welded in place.

MDBowhunter said:
I would cut a hole then take a piece of aluminum tube that barley fits in the hole and have it welded in so the cable can slide through the tube. This way no structural integrity should be removed from the rib, which I believe just drilling a hole would do. Especially if running a gas motor in rough water...
+1.
but if you really don't want to do this my suggestion would be to fabricate a raiser on top of the rib with a notch for the cable to pass through.

are you getting ready to put in a full floor ??
if so, then I second 2smknbrls line of thought.
cable run.png

How tall are the ribs ? How many do you have ?

After looking more closely at the well welded fabrication,
in MY world, I would break out the 1" hole cutter
and get it done. but - that is just ME, in MY world.
cable end.jpg
maybe find some PVC pipe, garden hose, or something to prevent chafing.
this is your boat - your call.

I guess if you are gonna drill the holes, go to the Big Box store first and get
the appropriate size rubber grommets to prevent chafing.
Then, the appropriate size hole saw or step drill bit.
grommet.jpg

Latest posts