Battery box

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
Has anyone built a battery box to drop into the bow deck of the boat? I was thinking of a way to get some weight up front and I can remove the seat where it is now and wanna drop in a metal battery box that I can mount to the deck and cover it (hatch) has anyone ever done this before or something like it? I was thinking maybe fish on fabrications could probably make something up for me or at least help me out.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442714302.713148.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442714311.949630.jpg
I thought this set up would work but there's no room for batteries up underneath without cutting into the deck face and I don't wanna do that. And another factor if someone was fishing up front there's a chance sparks could fly and burn them or acid leak and that wouldn't be good.

Sparks flying or acid leaking? If these were really concerns batteries would not be located in the back of virtually every factory bass boat alongside the gas tank.

Why do you want weight that far forward in the boat?

That's what I am going to do with mine , I built a box but not sure I am going to use that exact box yet or build a different one but can message you some pictures to give you ideas on my lunch break in a bit

I built a custom deck that is similar to what you describe. There is not much space between the factory deck and the hull on the front of the boat. Just need to measure your dimensions to make sure it will fit..

deck7.jpg

Battery box on right. I do not recommend the Tempress hatches that I used, they leaked.
deck2.jpg

I used 1" x 1" aluminum angle to make a frame for a battery tray to attach to. Then framed out 3 separate hatches aft of my factory bow deck (which also extended the deck.) Middle hatch is for storage and my battery charger, and the starboard and port hatches are for my batteries. Dawson at Fish On Fabrications made my hatches based on the measurements I sent him for the frames. High quality hatches, and I wouldn't hesitate to get anything from him again. I separated the hatches by riveting pieces of aluminum sheet to the framing that I had leftover from my floor/deck.

Battery trays and hatch framing.
IMAG0845_zps0d4c58b5.jpg

IMAG0843_zpsd99f4421.jpg

Hatches installed.
IMAG0919_zpsfd55223f.jpg

IMAG0986_zps49a23a86.jpg