Buying my first boat, help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smidge

Reaction score
So i am looking at purchasing my first boat for fishing. I mostly do trout fishing in smaller eastern sierra lakes, maybe tahoe. As well as some southern california lakes like casitas and pyramid. I am looking at getting a 12-14' aluminum hull with an outboard motor. Just wondering what are some things i should be looking for when looking at used boats? I honestly know nothing about boats, but i do know my way around an engine, so maybe that will help in some aspect with checking the outboard. Thanks!

I have my eye on a 14' 1975 valco and a 15hp mercury with 25 hours that im going to check out later today. which the guy says is in great condition.

Not sure what the model is, maybe I'll figure it out once I get there. But here is a picView attachment 1

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1442853930895.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1442853930895.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 688
  • uploadfromtaptalk1442853939863.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1442853939863.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 688
Well, check for corrosion of the aluminum most specifically at the transom, check for big dents underneath that may have damaged the rivets. Look closely at where the seats rivet to the hull, on older boats sometimes the hull cracks near these rivets. Look over the trailer, if you can, bring a small jack and raise each wheel and spin it and listen for noise. Do all the lights work? Good indication it was well looked after if so. The motor is like anything mechanical. Are there current registration tags on it? Another good indication if it was taken care of.

Can you water test it? You should if that is an option. You'll be able to see if it's watertight and listen to how the motor runs.

thanks for the input, i will definitely see if a water test is possible. if not possible how can i run the motor?

I was in the same situation about 6 years ago. New to boating and knew nothing about outboards. I found a boat and trailer I liked and took it home. On the maiden voyage the boat leaked at the ramp. I was fortunate the seller owned a boat repair shop and was nice enough to fix it at no charge. I put new tires on the trailer, light kit and replaced the wheel bearings. Anyway, fast forward 6 years I still have the same boat and trailer, and couldn't be happier. A used motor can be more of a gamble than a boat. Don't believe anything the seller says. Good luck.

Edit:
Sorry to come across so negative. I'm sure everyone has some kind of horror story to share.

Good advice given. Put it on the water and run it if you can. Take a boater friend along with you. Let us know how it checks out.

If a water test is not possible how would you suggest testing for leaks? and starting the motor. i will be doing a compression test on it as well

Welcome Smidge

Water Test = Test Ride..... would you buy a car just by listening to it run in the driveway ?

You can gain a washtub full of information just by using the "SEARCH" feature.
Do you know what the California Vessel Requirements for registration are?
Some states are so strict that you need to get your underwear registered if
you plan on going into any public body of water !!!
The reason I say this, is that so many members here have bought boats without
the proper documentation that they can never get their new boat registered. Thus it is useless.
So, if the seller says - - - "it doesn't have a title, but, all ya gotta do - - - is - - - "
Take about 3 steps back and wave BYEEEEEEE and go straight to your DMV to see what is
actually required for a boat in your state. (good advice for everyone here).

what do you know about the USCG requirements for a boat ?
what do you know about the Navigational Rules of the Road ?

Might be a good idea to know at least something before you head out.

The waterways have rules and regulations in place for the safety of us all,
just as the highways and byways do.

Telling a Water Police "I don't know" will only spin him up.

Like many on this site, I've owned/bought a lot of boats over the years.

Be sure that the boat fits YOU, and any guests. If you weigh 199 lbs and your guest weighs the same, then some boats are not going to be right for your use.

Narrow boats can feel way too tippy, especially if it is your first real boat.

V hulls will cut through the water well, but might feel tippy when walking around, unless they are very big v hulls.

A sea trial/water test is the only way you will know, and you won't really know until you use the boat a number of times. Lots of boats are re-sold with-in 6 months of purchase for this reason. Wider is slower, but more stable. Flat bottoms are stable but will ride rough in big waves. No one boat is right for all conditions.

Any boat will probably work on a small pond, but many will not be safe on a big lake.

Boats have plates on them that tell the highest recommended H.P. rating. Way too low H.P. engine on the boat may mean you've bought a boat that won't get up on plane easily. ( I bought one once).

If the motor is OVER the rating, I'd walk away immediately, though some will not.

Keep asking questions. Many of us didn't buy the first boat we looked at, sometimes for some of the very reasons listed above.

richg99

If the owner knows anything about boats, and the engine is in good condition he will probably allow starting it in a barrel.

When I want to sell I always have a barrel ready to fill so I can run the engine. Mostly because any motor I am going to sell runs awesome.
And also the fact that everyone's used motor ran great last week/month/season. :LOL2:

SumDumGuy said:
If the owner knows anything about boats, and the engine is in good condition he will probably allow starting it in a barrel.

When I want to sell I always have a barrel ready to fill so I can run the engine. Mostly because any motor I am going to sell runs awesome.
And also the fact that everyone's used motor ran great last week/month/season. :LOL2:

Ask me how I know this. Okay - bought a 1982 Johnson 15 HP a few months ago. It "was running in lake so-and-so a month ago."

1. The fuel pump was broken off the Block.
2. The Johnny-Rude fuel connector on the lower cowling was, um, not there.
3. The wrong spark plugs were installed - short threads did not even protrude into the cylinder cavity.
4. Once apart, the T-stat cavity was impacted with what looked like some serious insect nest - not a drop of water would have flowed through there.....
5. Both the low speed and high speed jets were completely impacted with OLD, varnished fuel.

But, I got for $200 bucks, and will soon have her running. :)

Have fun learning about boats and motors OP.

CMOS

Latest posts