First Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfire

Reaction score
Hello,
Just wanting to make my first post. I have an older (unsure of the year) Desoto. Its got what I believe to be a 1963 Johnson 5.5hp outboard, and a sigma trolling motor. The Johnson will turn over when I pull the rip cord but I don't have a gas tank to hook up to it yet (anyone wanna make a donation haha) so I'm not 100% sure it'll run. I do know it has had the single line conversion done. I do know that the sigma works, though I will have to replace the alligator clips because they are rusted pretty bad. I got a steal of a deal though haha.
Ill try to post up some pictures tomorrow of her. I know im going to try to make a half decent little bass boat out of her. I'm within 15 miles of about 6 different boat ramps so im hoping to get her done and running within a week or two.
Thanks for reading let me know if ya'll have any questions!

I'm from Tennessee, and aside from fishing with my dad and a few buddies I don't have much experience haha.
Just an update, I did a leak test today and cleaned her off with a pressure washer. Still no pics though lol sorry.
I found a couple of rivets on the front end that are leaking and the drain plug needs to be sealed up better and there are some holes from where there used to be handles on the back but other than that everything was good. If anyone has any tips or can lead me in the right direction on sealing rivets and holes that would be great. I will do a search also.
Thank you,
Brandon

when you fill the boat with water, take a Sharpie marker and mark the leaks.
If you can, turn the boat over (after you have the water out).
If you can't, then you have to crawl under the boat and work upside down.
Purchase some 3M-5200 Fast Cure sealant/adhesive and apply to the marked rivets.
The tan looking paint you see is Steel Flex, which was put on by the P/O to
"supposedly" seal all leaks..... well, we can see how that worked, can't we.
The issue with the drain plug, we need to see photos of that before advice.
Have Fun

Attachments

• leaking rivets 001.JPG
    leaking rivets 001.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 487
  • leaking rivets 002.JPG
    leaking rivets 002.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 487
Thanks for the information!
I already marked them with a sharpie, and the drain plug itself is good its just the drain plug mount needs to be resealed and tightened down and it'll be fine. Ill try to get pictures tomorrow after work to show what it all looks like. I appreciate the help!
I'm hoping to get them all sealed and out on the water next week. I only have the trolling motor right now but hopefully I'll be able to source a used tank and get the hoses and the connectors hooked up and see if that johnson runs.