Paint sprayers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
For spraying paints like Parker duck boat paint, what's my best option?

I have a compressor, should I go use it or go airless?

what painting projects will you have AFTER you paint your boat ?
are you painting just the outside or inside of your boat ? or both.

what size compressor do you have ?
the pneumatic paint guns are designed to operate within a certain
amount of available air at 40psi and 12cfm (cubic feet per minute).
The cheapest sprayer at HB is 6cfm (I think). which will work just fine.
Look on your compressor - it should say what the delivery CFM is.......
then come back with that information.

I bought a HF purple spray gun for $9.99 to paint my boat. I have not used it yet but I have taken it apart and cleaned it up per several youtube videos.

no matter which one you go with,
try to find something to practice on first . . . .
preferably the same texture as your boat.
painting drywall or plywood is not the same as your boat.
put it the same angle as your boat, vertical - 45*, etc.
and do a few practice sprays.
KEEP A PAINT BRUSH HANDY to take care of any runs and drips.
photos as you go would be appreciated by all.

Agree that the compressor will dictate much of what will work. The compressor I have will supply 8CFM at 40lbs. and 6CFM at 80lbs. The gun set I bought is this one from TCP Global, https://www.tcpglobal.com/TCPG7000.html?sc=120&category=2665055#.Vgf7KE0SqdE and can spray 1 cup of paint before the compressor will cycle back on.

The paints I have sprayed with this I can do it with the gun set to 35-40lbs. If more air or pressure were required then this compressor wouldn't keep up.

Don't do it unless you have a paint booth.

I painted some doors with a sprayer 50 yards from my cars.

Spent two days using acetone and rags to scrub the overspray off my cars.

And there was no wind that day at all.

You can still see it on the siding of my house, 4 years later

Dang you guys are starting to intimidate me on this. Maybe I should just use a roller and a brush. It's just a jon boat...

Guess that all depends on if this is going to be a one time deal or if you plan on doing more spraying in the future. There is an art and a science to it to some degree. Practice is very helpful.

One of the biggest reasons for the pros and the regulators are going to the HVLP guns is to help eliminate overspray and the amount of chemicals that are atomized into the air.

I thought you couldn't use hvlp sprayers with oil base paints? Am I mistaken?

My compressor is a 2 horse (I think it's a 5 cfm, not a giant compressor). I'll be using whatever I get for odd jobs, but nothing fancy like walls or the exterior of the house.

spray in a garage if you can and cover the ground in water. this will catch a lot of the over spray. make sure you have a good water separator on your compressor. water condensation in your spray gun can really make the job difficult. the most important part about painting is the prep work sanding, cleaning, using primer etch, masking. if you do your research im sure it will come out great and last along time.

personal advice from a professional painter . . . .
a novice should never attempt painting the interior of a house with a sprayer.
paint rollers are designed for smooth interior walls and the rough exterior of a building.
regardless of the hype on the TV infomercials.

I am sure you will have great results with a roller and brush - once you get started.
if you over think it - you will make it out to be more trouble than it is worth.
it is a BOAT that you want to paint dark drab rough colors to blend in with your
dark drab rough surroundings.
HF sprayer.jpg
Go to harbor freight and buy one of their economical airless sprayers. $20.00
It will be just fine for your boat. They spray latex AND oil paints.
And, after you practice with it for a few minutes, you will see it has very little over spray.
So you won't be killing your grass or flowers: providing you cover it all up under your boat.

coating a garage floor with water is only good if you don't have a lot of STUFF on the floor.
And, is only good for the airborne paint that falls on the floor. . . . . what about the airborne paint
that falls all over everything else?? on the benches, walls and all your STUFF ??
Most home owners don't want to turn their family garage into a commercial paint booth.
PRACTICE !!!!! and you will learn your limits quickly.
Crestliner - no numbers.jpg
boat seats 001.JPG
This is my 1959 1436 Crestliner Runabout . . . . I painted the outside regular old Rust-Oleum oil base
stop sign red and basic gloss white. The brown interior is Valspar exterior flat house paint from Lowe's.
all with a 2" or 4" brush with very good results. No rollers, no foam brushes, bristle brushes only.
It does not take a rocket scientist or fancy yacht basin to paint a boat with very acceptable results.

If you haven't already purchased a spray gun go buy a HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. Make sure you have an inline dryer to prevent the inevitable glop of water fouling up your paint job. You should practice using your new sprayer learning to adjust the spray and the paint volume. Spraying on cardboard is a good place to start.

As in any method of painting surface preparation is 90% of the job. Remember painting aluminum requires self etching primer on all bare metal surfaces.

There are a lot of videos available to show you how to adjust and use a spray gun, google them and watch a few.

Some folks think that the roll and tip method compares to spray paint, in my experience the kind of paint used dictates the quality of the finish when using this method. IMHO nothing....repeat nothing compares to spray painting for a quality finish.

Mr. HarryO60 said:
IMHO nothing....repeat nothing compares to spray painting for a quality finish.

well, Mr. Harry, there are literally hundreds of very fine boats on this forum that have been
painted with all sorts of applications. Spray, roll and brush. And yes, many people have achieved
really good results with spraying. But, some members here have never had their own boat before.
Much less painted anything in their life. So it is a little intimidating to get started on their first project.
But, it doesn't have be any harder than it is.

There is a time, place and purpose for each technique.... it is a personal choice of which one to use.
I was an instructor in woodcarving and painting for over 20 years. I had students with all skill levels.
Painting is a learned trait. Nobody is born with it. Skill, aptitude and education defines the end results.
It just comes down to the person's equipment on hand, skill level and ultimate finish desired.
My personal suggestions lean towards leading new members or new painters to the first rung
of the ladder to start. Let them gain confidence with the use of different tools to improve their skill level.

jus my Dos Centavos

Blake said:
For spraying paints like Parker duck boat paint, what's my best option?

I have a compressor, should I go use it or go airless?

Blake,

Just got done posting my paint job using a Wagner Paint sprayer using Parkers paint. Check page 7 of my thread and scroll down the bottom. I have a ton of pics about it.

Here is the link: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33272&start=90

I used to mess around with compressors and hvlp guns.. making messes and curses with equal ferocity..... Then I found these.. and my problems went away..... just the right amount of pressure... a total no brainer.. still creates some overspray but nothing like what I used to generate messing with a compressor gun till I got it working right...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738

Go to NAPA and get some automotive grade enamels... clear coat.... it works great... best part is you chuck it in the garbage can when you're done... no toxic cleanups and fouled up guns a week later..

I use them for all my projects now.. boats and motors..

DSC01622.jpg

Boat pictured above used about 6 jars total.. but I kept reusing the same sprayer and cleaning it... I think the power head ran out once... hard to say really..it was a long project...lots of little redos... the motor was done with small amounts mixed and shot in 3 different guns.. green, gold and clear... try them if you haven't.... you might be surprised...

For example look at this motor on the stand... notice the green on wood.... see how small that overspray was ? They may not be the best choice for covering a whole boat.. but they work.. and are cheap...

IMG_1864.jpg

yes, I have used them about 20 years ago in my sign shop.
Mainly to apply gold leaf to window glass or chemicals to make mirrors.

Never on such a large project like a boat. To me, in my world,
there are other options that I would use for large projects and use the Preval for small projects.
I am trying to find some photos of a 1999 lightning strike on my shop office
where some Preval canisters exploded on my desk from a brief fire. That was a bad day.

btw - welcome aboard - - - nice boat, way too pretty use LOL

Thanks... I wanted a boat with some real wood in it...

DSC01616.jpg

Latest posts