1985 Monark re-build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint KY

Reaction score
I looked at a 1985 Monark boat this morning with a 50HP Evinrude, which is to be a project boat. Stored inside, but not taken out in 6 to 7 years and started about 2 years ago.

The boat has a bass boat configuration. That is; there is a rear deck, a console at floor level and a front deck. The wood is soft in a few places and I know that has to be replaced.

My question is: Can I remove the front deck and just continue the floor level deck to the bow and leave just enough front deck to mount the trolling motor? I could not see well enough inside the hatch covers to see if the framing was aluminum or wood. And if it is either what else am I facing to do this? I realize I will have to install some sort of bracketry to mount the floor forward of what is there already.

Thanks in advance for the information and opinions.

Kismet said:
I gotta have pictures, Clint, if you want me to make a probably-incorrect suggestion. :mrgreen:
I don't take delivery for about a week, so photos are forthcoming. I plan to have a sbs (step by step) gallery of the project. I was hoping someone had pulled the decking out of a Monark and could give me a heads-up on what I am getting into.

Update: I picked up the boat today and started taking in apart by removing the front decking. There will be no modifying it as the cooler and live-well are built into the boat with all the associated wiring and plumbing in the area I was hoping to remove. So I will replace the decking and use it as it was built. I took some pictures (see below) but when I tried to take some of the structure under the deck the camera battery gave up. I will get some batteries and get those pictures. I will save them for the re-do section as this thread is now moot.

Thanks for the insight so far.

2 Oct 15 1.JPG

That's a nice rig.

Best wishes on the tidy-ing up.

(Oh, and because I tell myself this ALL the time, check the bearings. :) )

Latest posts