SAVE your boat from sinking, use WAX RING from a toilet!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
See video below of a 'new product' called Stay Afloat ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=888wQhRcmjQ&feature=player_embedded

63791.jpg

Looks like nothing but the wax ring stuff from replacing the 'doughnut' seal on a toilet ...

2b73fbf2-d6d9-402b-8a35-978a334f951b_300.jpg

$26 for the "marine product" in a container ... or $4-$6 from your local hardware store!

Thanks, Dale.....as always. Just another rip-off of boaters.

Good idea, though, to carry a wax ring on board. I think, in TX, I'd best put it into a nice sealable container or it would melt and drip away.

richg99

Being a licensed plumber for 35 years..I've had new and used wax all over my tools and myself..and have tasted both by accident :-&

Many times I nearly suggested bowl wax on several other forums but thought better of it. The stuff is very useful. But if it doesn't have the word "boat" on it somewhere many will pass on its wonderfullness..

Sinkingfast said:
Being a licensed plumber for 35 years..I've had new and used wax all over my tools and myself..and have tasted both by accident :-&

Many times I nearly suggested bowl wax on several other forums but thought better of it. The stuff is very useful. But if it doesn't have the word "boat" on it somewhere many will pass on its wonderfullness..

I'm a plumber too, and I hate getting that wax on a tool and then on my hands. What a mess, but it is useful at times. It would be good to keep in the boat when the temps aren't too high.

Use it to keep corrosion out of the trailer connector plug. Pack it into the vehicle connector before one puts on the dust cap. It will be like new 10 years later if needed. Put some on a wire splice before using shrink tubing. Makes good mustache wax..well maybe not..

I understand that the melting temperature of wax rings is around 160 degrees. It starts to sag before that. I assume the reason more toliets don't leak in the heat is that the water in the bowl helps dispate the heat.

It suprised me that bee's wax melts at 91 - 97 degees. Those little burgers must have to fan a lot of air to keep the hive cool in Texas.