Those in the North... winter cover?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
So, for those in the North that store your boat in the winter, what do use to cover it? The past two years I have thrown my canoe up there and wrapped it all with a huge tarp, but water still gets in. I don't want water in my boat over the winter, it freaks me out as I imagine it could freeze and expand and do who knows what kind of damage. I don't have the option of indoor storage. So this year I am actually considering building one of those lightweight, plastic sheathed A-frames over it. That way I might be able to do a little work on it over the winter.

Wondering what you folks in the cold climates do to store your boat? I know how to winterize engines, not worried about that. Do the store bought covers really keep all the water out of the boat?

Mine spends it's time outdoors with a heavy plastic tarp over it. You have to have some kind of support to aid in shedding the snow and water and if the tarp isn't kept taught the low spots will collect water and it will usually find its way in. For the winter I put on a second tarp to be sure no water gets in. The water-proof or water resistant canvas covers aren't very good for winter storage as the snow (and eventually ice) will cling to the weave of the fabric and build up over the winter. When I used one I put an additional plastic tarp over it to help shed the snow. Snow will still collect on the plastic tarp but not as much as with the canvas ones and if you get a lot of snow like the east coast of the U.S. did last winter you may have to clean it off during the course of the winter. A couple of years ago we had enough snow in MN that the weight of it collapsed my cheesy PVC support system and it got to be a mess.

I got lucky some years ago and got a rubberized canvas section of a tractor-trailer load cover. With some elevation (30gal drum) in the center and taut fastening at either end, it sheds everything. I do shake off heavy snow loads.

The other boat goes in the shed, and if I have a project boat working, I angle the first boat in and then PULL the project boat in tongue first. There's only one bay available.

A light canoe and an old kayak (that a friend dropped off for me to store for a year---18 years ago :roll: ) hang from the rafters.

Don't know if you have any access to such, but farmers are now using plastic tubes to store silage, instead of putting it in silos. Around here, it is heavy duty, UV resistant, black on one side and white on the other, and about 20 feet in diameter. I got a section of it and use it for outisde summer protection for a canoe. Works a charm.

I've driven past some boat yards that shrink-wrap boats over the winter, but know nothing of how they do it.

Best Wishes.

I go with a steep A-framed cover, one ridge pole across the top and a few down supports on all of my boats, including when I had a toona boat.

I used to use a frame made from PVC and it lasted for well over a dozen years, but one Winter squall wiped it out and since then I make the frame out of 2x3 ridge pole and down supports made out of strapping.

One big tarp works well, either open at the ends so it can breathe, or close them up when storms threaten.

I try for the A-frame 'pitch' where the height of the ridge pole above the gunnel is close to that of the beam. Gives one room to work or walk under it somewhat, at least in the center.

A few photos of PVC down supports used with a wood ridge pole. In serious winds, the PVC will fail ...

Before and After shown ... did not post the one showing covered with the tarp before the winds ... :wink:

Attachments

• PVC-Wood frame2.jpg
    PVC-Wood frame2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 393
  • PVC-Wood frame.jpg
    PVC-Wood frame.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 393

Latest posts