Best thing I've done for me in a long while

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Can't tell you how many extra minutes I've spent, over the years, hooking up my van to my trailer. I'd come close, then have to back up another inch or two. Then, I'd find out that I was too close and have to bump her forward. Since my boat is normally on a gravel base, moving the trailer is not as easy as it is when it is on concrete.

Recently, I remembered reading about something like the picture below. One old tennis ball; some tape; a magnetic disk (that I am not sure does much) and maybe a bit of glue and I've got the greatest alignment tool ever. I back the van up until I see the orange rod tipping over. Put the van into both Park and lock the Emergency Parking brake. I found that if I didn't lock the emergency parking brake, she would rock forward or back just enough to mess up my positioning.

99% of the time, I am perfectly positioned over the ball, and can rock the trailer a fraction of an inch if needed. regards, richg99

21878659322_b8696e7f88_n.jpg

Cool, I got one of those magnetic video cameras that you stick on the tailgate and put the monitor in the cigarette lighter, works great, I think it is call the eyeball. it cost about $100.

Hmmmm $100.00 and wiring and stuff.... or.....used tennis ball and stick.

Guess I am cheap.

Actually, I think the camera would be a great solution, too.

I'd like to see you post it up with LINKs as to where to get it etc.

Thanks for commenting. richg99

I used to grumble about back-up cameras being useless and a stupid tool for incompetent drivers....but, then I bought a car that had a backup camera built in. The lens on the back is angled slightly down and the hitch ball appears at the bottom of the screen on my dash. You can see your entire trailer while backing up to it, and line up the hitch perfectly. Get a car with a back-up camera if for no other reason than this! Also works great for aiming at pedestrians while backing out of parking spaces.

Well, it just happens that our "new" van (bought a 2014 van last year) has a small backup camera.

Now, this new van hasn't had a hitch put on it.....until...a month ago. I have been using my "old" van 2007 with 154,000 miles on it to haul the tinny up here in TN.

The tinny is going home to TX for the winter months. The "new " van is, going home too. Temporarily, the "new" van has been my wife's vehicle while we are here in the mountains. When we head back home in two weeks, she gets her little red Cadillac back, and I get the "new" van.

The "old" van stays in TN so we have two vehicles in both places and yet don't have to drive two vehicles when we make the semi-annual drive.

Bottom line is......I have yet to haul the tinny with the "new" van, so I haven't even thought of using the backup camera to hitch her up. If the camera is positioned as yours is, then I don't need my latest invention in TX, but do need to leave it up here in TN with the "old" van.

Thanks for the discussion.

richg99

I think it is a great idea, and cheaper than a new vehicle, or getting your old one its own Television.

Thanks.

There is no wiring with the video camera, it is wireless.

Here it is but, I don't remember paying $200 for it, I told my wife to get it for Christmas, maybe it was?

https://www.amazon.com/iBall-Wireless-Trailer-Hitch-Camera/dp/B0035WSQEC

Probably just me and old habit, but I tried the camera the other day. Hookup took a lot longer than with the tennis ball indicator. Luckily, I have both and will give the camera a number of chances before I resort to the tennis ball indicator. richg99

Yeah, my '13 Tacoma came with a backup camera. I was not happy about being forced to pay for it- it was part of a package- as I had no use for it whatsoever. Then I hooked up to a trailer. It instantly became invaluable. I love when my friends are helping me hook up a trailer and they do the old point your finger right over the trailer coupler and then I back right up within a millimeter of being perfect in an instant! They are always "how did you do that?" Haha!

I can be so accurate with it that I can put the ball exactly a 1/4" in front of the coupler so that when I lower it on the ball it slips right down and doesn't hang up on the ball catch. My boat trailer is light, but with the snowmobile trailer, especially in snow, you can't push the trailer even a 1/4".

https://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-69778.html

You're welcome.

Roger

GTS225 said:
https://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-69778.html

You're welcome.

Roger

I was going to say that these things are already available to buy but, nothing wrong with do it yourself.

Latest posts