Supports for deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
Has anyone cut there aluminum to long for the supports under there deck builds? I cut mine and it's a snug fit and seems to be scratching the floor of the boat pretty bad. What should I do? Should I try and cut the bottom off so it doesn't scrape anymore or take it out somehow and then cut it down to size? Of course I find this after I'm almost done with the deck.

It's rather hard to tell w/o seeing what you did or are trying to do. Picture would help.

Though if you measured wrong the 1st time it might be safer to remove and fix than trying to fix it in place. Really am sorry to hear of your mishap. When I do things like this I usually test fit everything before I do a final assembly. Then I figure it's also better to be 3/16" to long than 3/16" too short.

Yeah I caught myself measuring multiple times but I'm not sure what I did wrong I'll get a picture for you when I get home

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444091411.873461.jpg
You can just tell under the support where it's been scratched. Now I don't know if I did that getting it in there or what but I just don't want it to poke a hole in the bottom

Totally agree with at least 2 rivets, Would also shorten that up just a bit so that it isn't a forced fit. I'd do it so that you could slide at least a pcs of paper under it.

Will add that this is exactly what I had envisioned by your 1st description of what you were trying to do but I wasn't sure.

Let's see some more!

lgpjr49, are you concerned that your paint is scratched ?
or, of the structural elements going on.

Personally, I would do exactly as you have done. (and have done it).
The bottom angle brace that the vertical angle is resting on
will distribute the weight equally and not poke a hole in your boat.
if you raise the vertical, or make it shorter, that means your
rivets will carry the load and will eventually either shear off or come loose.
The side rivets only keep the verticals in place so they won't move.
In my world, I would leave it as is - if the deck is nice and flat
and just add another rivet or two and you will be golden.
This advice is for ALL your connections, not just that one.

good luck and happy boating !!

I agree that it isn't an issue since its sitting on a rib and not on the hull. I wouldnt be concerned at all, in fact if that was my project, I too would cut it just as you have so that the rivet isn't taking all the weight. The only thing I would change is the size of the rivets. Its hard to tell from the pic what size you using but for anything structural, Id recommend 1/4" rivets.

I was more worried about structure of the hull, it's gonna get repainted once done and I can't have all the vertical supports rest this way because the boat is not flat and the vertical supports won't stand up straight. Since this little miss hap I have been wedging 3 business cards under to make sure there's no rubbing on the corners that may reach the hull itself not just the rib. The rivets are 3/16 and are getting doubled up on all the verticals. I couldn't find any 1/4 rivets when I got the itch to start and got the next biggest. I've been taking pictures as I go and I'll start a build thread soon. I'm fresh out of college and have wanted to do this for years and finally had a little bit of money to throw at this so I figured why not ha.

There is another way you could do this but it would involve a bit more work, something to cut with, a bench vise and a propane torch. To do this measure the height of the rib, let's say 1". Cut the angle in the corner up 1" then place the angle in a vise and gently heat and then bend one of the cut sides out to a 45deg. angle. That way the pcs that is now bent out can be riveted to the top of the rib and the other pcs. that is still straight can be riveted to the side of the rib as you are doing it now. Also by doing this you could bend the angle so that it is straight up to whatever deck structure you are building.

That is exactly how I supported the bow portion of my floor. The rest of my floor sits on and is riveted to the ribs. But towards the bow the Mod-V of the hull needing some framing. A second rivet will keep your piece of angle from "turning" on the axis of just one rivet. Haven't had any issues with mine supported this way in 2 years.

IMAG0817_zps843b3827.jpg

IMAG0834_zps61a71a5b.jpg

IMAG0835_zpsc22f0efa.jpg

Latest posts