pondering new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug O

Reaction score
I own a 1996 Alumicraft 1648 with a 25 Merc . Looking at a 1860 grizzly with a 50 4s tiller merc .
The 1648 has a center seat and it drives me nuts . Also going fishing in some large lakes and the 1648 is taking a pounding.
Anyway dose the set up I'm looking at work well. My concern is the 1860 grizzly to big for a tiller and how well have the members here made out with the tracker products. The merc 4s should be strong unless someone knows different please chim in.
Yes I'm new here . Thank you for your opinons.

Doug O

1860 is not too big for a tiller. It's common for tillers to be even bigger than that. You are going to have lots of room in that thing!

Just did a quick Google and found one post where his 1860 Grizzley was only rated for 40 hp????

Also, I imagine that the weight of the larger 4 cylinder engine might be an issue???

richg99

Yes you are right the bass Pro web sight is wrong. I went and looked at the boat and the capacity plate read a 60 hp , there is a conflict with the Grizzly 1760 also. I'm also considering the 1760 with a 40 hp merc on it.
Thanks for the responses . I will be looking for more of them.

Doug O

I used to fish with friend that had a similar sized Polar craft.
It was open [no center seat] and it was a pleasure to fish out of.
A perfect boat for taking kids fishin!

Steve A W

I've run a slew of tiller motors, 2.5 to 140 hp. The bigger the motor, the more "manly" you'll need to be to steer/control it. About 50hp is what I would consider the max for tiller steering, which IMO is WAY too small for an 1860, especially a Grizzly. I would be looking at 75-90 hp, or whatever the boat is rated for. Last week I had to test a War Eagle 1648 that had a 50hp two stroke Yamaha tiller steered motor on it. It was all I could do to control it at certain speeds. Once at full speed, one handed was no problem. But you're not always running along at 38mph either. Have also run a War Eagle 1860 with an F90 tiller and it was literally a straight line motor. As long as you're going straight, at full speed (43 mph), it was ok. Getting on plane, then coming OFF plane, it was two hands and all I could do to hold it. And at one point, did some work with a war eagle 1754 with a F60 Jet...which was kind of a cool rig. It had PT&T so I could tilt the motor up a little and DRENCH anyone who got within 100' of me. Driving it wasn't a big deal since it was a jet (no steering torque to speak of compared to a prop drive), but it was no good for anything but rocky or sandy bottom rivers and lakes. Leaves, sticks, weeds would plug the intake up extremely quickly. Owner thought it would be a good idea for duck hunting since it'll run in inches of water but he found out quick that it was useless around here except for trout fishing-which he didn't care for.

The price difference between a 1756 and a 1860 Grizly is only 200 . Not a problem. As for a bigger motor I do not need speed on the water. A 40 hp or a 50hp would be fast enough. I will go with one or the other just have not pulled the trigger yet.

Latest posts