Lowe 1648 Planning Ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBlaster

Reaction score
So, Im still just in the planning stages with this 1648 that I picked up and Im looking for some ideas. My plan is to make this as much like a Tracker Panfish as possible. Im a crappie fisherman and that boat just suits me perfectly. I think I can turn this boat into that for less than half the cost of a new Panfish since Im starting with $0 in the boat and trailer.

First question is about the middle bench with the livewell. That bench has got to go but I want to keep the livewell. A couple of problems. Im worried about losing some of the structural integrity of the hull by removing the bench yet Ive seen it done time and time again and there are similar models of this boat that dosnt have the bench. Also, the livewell currently sits between the ribs. To turn it lengthwise like a Panfish, it would need to sit on top of the ribs. Im sure I can figure out a way to make this work just looking for some ideas. Thoughts?

Next, I had originally thought I would find some way to rig up a stick steer system. Without finding a donor boat with those parts, it looks like stick steer can get pricey. So now Im considering console. Im definitely not going tiller. Lowe sold this boat with or without a console. Ill be calling Lowe to price a console but if anyone knows of an aftermarket console, Id be interested in taking a look. I may talk to my fabricator and see about a custom console too.

Here is a pic of the current stock layout.

1648.jpg

isn't the pan fish a stick steer ?? i was told by the dealer that the l1648mt would flex like a rubber band if we took out the front seat and you have to buck new rivets in and weld the botton of the hull where the live well used to be .. but would be very neat project :)

If you have zero in the boat and trailer I would give it a good cleaning and sell it off. Put the money toward a used Panfish. I think you would be happier and not have to try to make this one work for you. Or run the Lowe in stock configuration and get out and fish.

I have a Lowe like yours in a 14'. I agree it is not ideal (middle seat sucks!) although it works good and I also got a good deal on mine. I plan on running mine for some years and if I use it a lot will upgrade to the panfish.

Something to think about. Hate to see you mod the Lowe and hurt the resale value of it. Not to mention time and money spent. Seen it happen a lot. Guys spend tons of time and money in modding a tin boat out and then end up selling and buying a bass boat.

xXOnyxXx said:
isn't the pan fish a stick steer ?? i was told by the dealer that the l1648mt would flex like a rubber band if we took out the front seat and you have to buck new rivets in and weld the botton of the hull where the live well used to be .. but would be very neat project :)
Yes the panfish is a stick steer boat. That was my original plan and I like the idea of stick steer. Just don't know how economical it would be to add versus adding a console.

Flex is what Im concerned about. Im not concerned about the holes. I have to have some welding done anyhow.

RiverLife said:
If you have zero in the boat and trailer I would give it a good cleaning and sell it off. Put the money toward a used Panfish. I think you would be happier and not have to try to make this one work for you. Or run the Lowe in stock configuration and get out and fish.

I have a Lowe like yours in a 14'. I agree it is not ideal (middle seat sucks!) although it works good and I also got a good deal on mine. I plan on running mine for some years and if I use it a lot will upgrade to the panfish.

Something to think about. Hate to see you mod the Lowe and hurt the resale value of it. Not to mention time and money spent. Seen it happen a lot. Guys spend tons of time and money in modding a tin boat out and then end up selling and buying a bass boat.
Ive looked and looked for a used Panfish in my price range. Finally found one last winter and it was gone within an hour of the listing. They don't pop up very often. There is one currently for sale somewhat close to me but if I could afford his price, Id just buy a new one.

Im not all that concerned with the resale value as I go above and beyond with my projects. I don't cut corners. It will be worth plenty more when finished. Besides, the project is half the fun!! Ive had a bass boat. Its not the best thing for crappie fishing so no worries.

Good deal sounds like you did your homework and know what you need then.

I am the same way when it comes to projects. I always make sure things are right no matter the cost. I made a grand on my little two man plastic bass boat project after using it for two seasons.

Blaster - you keep saying "like a PanFish" - "like a PanFish" - "like a PanFish"

I think in your heart, you know you have a boat that you don't want.
I agree with RiverLife: Guys spend tons of time and money in modding a tin boat
out and then end up selling and buying a bass boat.

Fix it up, nice paint job and flip it.

I have had several tins over the years and finally have one that I did not have
to do hardly anything to it. I bought it from a bass tournament fisherman
here in Central Florida. It is a 1988 Blue Fin 1648. I don't know what factory hull
Blue Fin used but it is a modified V and I just love it.

good luck in your endeavors !!!

The Tracker Panfish has a perfect layout for the fishing I do and everytime I start dreaming about new boats, that's the one I look at. That said, a new boat isn't happening for awhile and like I said, they almost never come up in the used market for some reason. Im thinking its just not a very popular boat so they don't sell many but I dunno.

This boat was given to me and the trailer I got for free by trading another boat that I got for free. I purchased new gunnels from Lowe because the current ones are beat to death so Im into it for $175. The trailer will need modded and the boat needs a little more work so Ill have a basically brand new boat and trailer for about $500 when I start modding.

If you take a look at my 1436 mod, we absolutely love that boat. It just dosnt have the room or stability that we need and again, this one came to us for free. This 1648 takes care of both of those problems and adds a livewell. If I cant make it exactly like a Panfish, Im okay with that. We will come up with another plan and move forward. Im even okay if we do it exactly like the 1436 because it works pretty good for us. Just searching for ideas at this point to see what we can and can not do.

Latest posts