Live-well aerator question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint KY

Reaction score
I removed the transom mounted live-well aerator pump today as it had died. The pump, which has been there for 30 years, had a pair of plastic spacers, one inboard, and one outboard that made the pump sit horizontal in the bilge of the boat. None of the replacements I see has this “feature”. Can I mount a new pump and let the intake tilt down a bit and the pump tilt up a bit without any problems?

And if it is not advisable where can I get a pair of the spacers?

Here is the pump in the same position it was in the bilge. The intake on the right went through the transom which was angled back (top to the right). The piece just to the left of the nut is angled to match the angled part of the pump so that the intake tube and the pump remain level.

Live Well Pump small.jpg

If I install any of the pumps I have seen in the local shops or online the pump will be angled up at the front (the left end in the picture).

I hope that clears up my setup.

my pump is mounted to the transom as you describe, without angled spacers.
I figure a lot of changes and improvements have been made in the past 30 years
and the newer ones can be mounted at any angle, as long as it is below the water line.
Also, make sure the supply hose is not stressed or kinked that could eventually
cause leaks or failure at the hull connection.
and if I am wrong, I will stand corrected.

jus my Dos Centavos

If you need the angled spacers, can you make one from a cut up WalMart cutting board? Seems to be the same material and they are cheap enough. You might have to double two layers to make up the thickness that you need.
richg99

Latest posts