Is this a good buy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skrae

Reaction score
14' westcoaster and 15 hp merc
Sitting for 2 years.
$1k is the price.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 852
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 852
From what I can see of the pictures it looks to be in pretty good shape. The hull looks good on the bottom. The engine is not too old but after sitting for two years I would give it a good checkup before putting my trust into it. I would think it would be worth it.

I would pay that if I were in the market for such a boat. Looks like a good deal. Just make sure the seller has the titles.

skrae,

IF it was me looking to buy a boat like that, I would try to buy the boat separately & the look for/buy a 1955-70 Evinrude/Johnson/Gale/Sea King 12-20 HP outboard.
(Watching https://www.craigslist.com may well net you a one-owner & quite suitable OMC for 50 bucks, like my trusty 18HP electric-starting Johnson from 1957 is. - I then replaced the entire ignition system, refurbished the carb & put in a new water-pump impellor for about 150.oo & expect the little Johnny to outlast me.)

ImVho, the post 1970 outboards are ALL too complicated for an owner to maintain/repair, unless you are a talented mechanic with a shop full of professional tools OR lots of $$$$$$$$$$.
(Around South TX, expect to pay at least 75-90 bucks an hour for labor plus parts.)
Otoh, an old OMC outboard requires about 40.oo worth of simple hand tools (2 flathead, 2 phillips screwdrivers & a set of wrenches), a quantity of lubricants & patience.
(NOT even ONE special tool is required.)
I would also recommend that you borrow/buy a copy of: CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNERS GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER by Max E. Wawrzyniak.
(I bought my copy used at a Goodwill store for 5 bucks.)

NOTE: EVERY internal part for OMC BigTwin outboards is sold "for cheap" by your local NAPA auto parts store under the SIERRA PARTS brand.

For the old, "dirt-simple", tough, over-engineered OMC outboards, I can teach a talented chimpanzee to keep one running for eons!!

just my OPINION, satx

Buy that package for $1000, then sell motor for $1500!
And then do like SATX suggested. I like mid '50s OMC motors also.
I have about $200 into My '57 Johnson 18hp, and about $150 into a
'55 Johnson 5.5hp.
Those two motors cover the lakes I fish.
Good luck

Steve A W

Good buy! Like others have mentioned the motor alone is worth a grand.

I like newer motors so would for sure keep that. They are not hard at all to work on or maintain.

The hull and the trailer would get sold for sure. Heck you could wait until spring and put it together and probably double your money. Hit a few garage sales for some life jackets and other stuff as a deal sweetener. Or do what my neighbor just did and run it for two seasons then double your money.

Lots of possibilities. All in all a good buy. Have fun and be safe.

I would not sell the motor, that motor will give you years of good service.

Latest posts