Crestliner 12' boat possible build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adjusted3

Reaction score
Two days ago I joined this site where Tin Boats was referenced from another outdoor forum board that I am a 15 yr member on. I joined because it looked like a great reference for various boat ideas and mods. I had really no intentions of starting a build nor did I really want to start one. I have a fully tricked out 17' Lund, Riggers, Bird-trees, rod holders, Graphs, chart plotter, speed and temp, I Ulterra I-Pilot, LED's VHF and a stereo system with a 500 watt amp, Sirius, on board chargers, and the boat is powered with a 140 Johnson.

Now that said, yesterday, by just plain dumb luck, I took a friend of my son in law fishing and he had this little 12 foot Crestliner, no trailer, and we worked out a trade. Boat for a Minnkota 50lb power drive trolling motor that was 10 years old. I'm not so sure who got the better deal but I'm happy and so is he.

So my questions are a few, and depending on the answers, my intention would be to work this boat, or a different boat over for use at my cabin for now and one day gift it to my grandson, who is 7 now.

So, I really need to know if this boat is worth the time and effort and expense? I would really like to figure out what year this boat is and try and get a little more info on it. Both the Crestliner sticker and a stamped hull number reads "1802-8156H. Also, the HP rating on the sticker is 12hp. I'm thinking 1976 but I am being led to believe that it may be older then that because am being led to believe the HIN's changed in 1972 to 12 digit numbers with alpha starts. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I am posting some photos of this boat and I am seeing some wear and tear, but not really seeing anything that can't be overcome. But, my last 3 builds have been limited to replacing floors. carpet, wiring and then rigging out the boat. I have 0 experience when it comes to paint, welding or metal fabrication, but I am willing to learn and I have many tools in the shop and the resources to job some of this out as a last resort. I have a little Merc 6hp engine that would go great on this little boat and can readily find a trailer.

I have not water tested this, that is next. but even if it does not leak, I see some issues that would need to be corrected.

So, the ultimate question is if this boat is worth the effort? Or should I simply abandon this one and look for another boat in better shape? I'm certainly not boat poor, this a boat that I really don't need as I already have my Lund, a 15' Sea Nymph and another beat up 12 footer at the cabin along with 2 kayaks and a canoe.

AS far as rigging this boat for fishing, I got that covered. I have major experience rigging fishing boats and have the resources. I used to own my own tackle company, and I currently rep for another as a hobby.

This is the hull view, not too bad of a skin
IMG_0671.JPG
An area that the rivets were leaking and it was sealed with silicone
IMG_0672.JPG
Wood transom is rotted out but the metal skin is good
IMG_0674.JPG
3 seats with treated wood, these will need to come out and be repaired.
IMG_0675.JPG
Some type of hole in the transom that has what looks like JB Weld on it. I can get that off.
IMG_0680.JPG
Back side of the same hole. It has a pop rivet piece of alum in place, I can get that off but will require some welding.
IMG_0681.JPG

I want this boat to be ultra safe when complete, and I have to keep that at the forefront of any decisions.

So, what is everyone's thoughts?

Mark

Get rid of the pressure treated wood!!
Replace the transom check for leaks, if no leaks don't worry about the patch.
Paint it and have some fun.

Latest posts