Power trim and a Rock Guard???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deduck

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and was wondering if I could get some input.
I am taking delivery next month on a SeaArk 1660 Modified V Prop Tunnel. I'm going to be pushing the boat with a new Honda 40 with a hydraulic jackplate. I keep going back and forth on whether to get the power trim and tilt or not. I would like to do a little more boating up in the susquehanna this spring and it can get a little rocky. Can you really run a rock guard with power trim? Won't it beat up the mounts/transom since there isn't any give with the power trim/tilt?
I do the majority of my boating either hunting the muddy bottom marshes here in DE or deeper water out in the Delaware river/bay. I do not want a jet.

Ryan

I would get the power trim and I would consider a jack plate too, if you just put one of those skegs on that will help some but a rock hopper is bullet proof. I don't think it will affect performance enough to notice. With a jack plate the skeg guard might be plenty, depends on how shallow you run.

If you don't get PT&T, you will kick yourself. Trust me. I'm fairly young and don't have any problem tilting my little F25, but there have been many many times I have kicked myself for NOT getting PT&T. After tilting it a bunch of times manually, you will get tired. Especially that big ol' heavy Honda 40. Good motor, just heavy to manually tilt it. Even gas assist isn't the same as the button ;)

Sounds like an easy decision then! Thanks guys.
Now if only the boat would get here........
It's been 17 weeks since I ordered it.

I ran my Mercury 60/45 jet last year with the manual tilt and I only weigh 150 lbs so it took me with both feet on the transom to tilt the motor up and lock it. It wasn't a big deal but I found a new power trim/tilt setup on Ebay over the winter and it was the best thing I've bought for the boat so far. The adjustability on the fly with the jet isn't a big deal, but with a prop motor it makes a big difference being able to trim it out to the perfect running position so it's worth it.

My 40 hp. Yamaha has Pwr/trim/tilt. However I'm worried about running rivers and hitting logs. Wouldn't standard trim be better cause it can flip up when striking objects? I read the manual and see there is a lever on the back of the motor but it says that is for running in reverse. I tried lifting the motor by pulling up on the lower unit but it wouldn't budge. Should it and I'm just a wuss?????

PS: I doubt I'll be running on plane. Just cruising slow looking for holes where steelhead hide!

Thanks.

Don

Power tilt and trim will not lift manually. They are made to tilt if an object is hit. There is a manual release screw in the hydraulic system to lift the motor in an emergency when the tilt quits working

Fin said:
Power tilt and trim will not lift manually. They are made to tilt if an object is hit. There is a manual release screw in the hydraulic system to lift the motor in an emergency when the tilt quits working

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I couldn't fathom what the owners manual was trying to tell me.

Don

How has the boat been treating you? I am getting the same boat in March. Hydro jack as well. What pitch and 3 or 4 blade prop are you running for the tunnel? I'm putting a merc 50 command thrust on mine but am at a loss in where I need to start for the prop. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. What kind of speeds are you getting as well. Thanks much

Eric

I cancelled the build on my Sea Ark. After waiting 4 months, I bypassed my dealer and called their sales department. They told me they didn't have any other orders for the east coast so they still haven't even started building it. They told me I'd be lucky to receive it in February. I ordered the boat in early July. To say the least, I was not happy..... I got my deposit back and went to a local War Eagle dealer. Bought a 17'6" X 54" with a Yamaha 40. Installed my Micro Jacker. The whole rig came in at at the same price as the Sea Ark Except for the power trim and tilt. I decided to go manual. I have been running her for 2-3 weeks now and couldn't be happier! I Love that **** jack plate!

Attachments

• IMG_6200.JPG
    IMG_6200.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 2,037
  • IMG_6201.JPG
    IMG_6201.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 2,037
  • IMG_6194.JPG
    IMG_6194.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 2,037
  • IMG_6193.JPG
    IMG_6193.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 2,037
I'm eventually going to add the CNC tilt/trim to my Mercury 60 and forgo the jackplate & here's why - from what I've found motors from the factory which do not have tilt & trim do not lock to the transom when in forward gear, only when in reverse. This allows them to tilt upward if there is a collision with the skeg/lower unit offering some degree of protection. When mounted to the CNC tilt/trim unit you have the best of both worlds - breakaway in forward while still being able to hydraulically adjust the tilt & trim.

I suppose you could add the jackplate too, but then your motor will be ~10" behind the boat & I'm not so sure how good an idea that would be. I suppose with a small motor like my 60hp it wouldn't be too much of an issue - but it's a lot more torque on the transom and I'm just not that interested in a jackplate to be bothered figuring out whether it's safe or not.

Latest posts