1954 11' Arkansas Traveler Transom Mod - Need Advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD Fishing

Reaction score
Good Day,

So here's what I have going on. I'm revamping an old '54 Arkansas Traveler that I picked up for next to nothing. Scrubbed, resealed (to be safe) added some paint to the exterior and now I am on to the transom & motor part of the build.

According to the only piece of info I could find on my particular model it is rated at a 5hp max. Well, I would like to get a 9.9 or 10 for it just because of what I need it for.

So, here' where I need the advise... Is what I have (doesn't appear to be original wood and does have a bracket mod already) sufficient enough to accommodate a 9.9, or should I strip this out and install a new transom across the entire back? Based on the original rivets in the back it did come with one matching the current size so my gut reaction is that was enough for the 5hp and not much more.

I know some will say, do it all - better safe than sorry, but if I can get away with not doing it then I will proceed to finish the interior. without sweating a major re-install.

Take a look and tell me what you think. Hopefully someone has had some good experience with this in the past & can offer some peace of mind.

Thanks!

P.S. the rod in pic one is just for my tarp. It is not part of the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_5209.JPG
    IMG_5209.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,119
  • IMG_5208.JPG
    IMG_5208.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,119
  • IMG_5207.JPG
    IMG_5207.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,119
Why replace the knee brace? Just asking. Would most likely have to come out anyway for the replacement, but curious as to why you feel it would need to be replaced?

The triangular shape is good but if you look at most factory knee braces they are made from aluminum angle, channel or tube. Flat stock doesn't have enough rigidity.

So basically stating - I should replace the existing transom with one of equal thickness across the entire back of the boat. And in turn replace the knee brace with one more suited for boat transom applications?

Should I remove and reposition the brace(s) into more suitable location(s) or is the current location acceptable? (Since the holes are already drilled)

Remember, I'm only looking for a 9.9hp motor. Not a 25+

Thanks again for the responses! It's most appreciated.

Yes full width, same thickness. You can tie the transom into the sides of the hull with a piece of aluminum angle at each end. The position of the knee brace looks good, maybe have a piece of aluminum angle or tube welded to the knee brace to stiffen it.

Since I figured a re-mod was inevitable, I decided to get started. I ground out that old diamond plate knee brace and removed the old wood. Not sure how old it was but it was in fairly good shape (considering).

I mocked up a couple pieces of MDF to use as a template, got the wood cut, sandwiched the 2 pieces together with some glue & sealer, and let it set. Once it was set up enough to play with I fit it to the boat and drilled out the existing holes along with 8 new ones (4 each side). I upped the bolt size from 1/4 to 5/16, washers, and lock nuts.

I fit everything together and will allow it all to set up in place over night. Tomorrow I will seal everything up, and mount it permanently.

Still in the process of figuring out some new knee brace(s) and location(s) for them. Any suggestions there?

Attachments

• IMG_5235.JPG
    IMG_5235.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_5237.JPG
    IMG_5237.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_5234.JPG
    IMG_5234.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 986
At the outer ends of the transom below the corner cap and above the splash rail install a piece of aluminum angle. This will tie the transom to the side of the hull.
You probably could have sealed up some of the bolt holes in the transom.

Yeah. 23 bolts is probably a bit of overkill, but whatever... Go big or go home, right?! I'm fairly comfortable with the stability of it and feel it will be just fine for a 9.9hp - 10hp motor. I'll get everything sealed and mounted for good today and then get to work on the angle stock. Any recommendation on a gauge for the stock?

1-1/4" or 1-1/2" angle 1/8" thick and long enough to put 3 bolts through to tie the transom to the side.

So I'm looking around for some angle for the brace(s). I thought of doing something along these lines as far as location. This works best b/c I already have rivets in the side that I can just drill out and use bolts and washers in the existing holes rather than drill more holes in the poor thing. Plus, I can match them up with the triangular edge pieces there for a clean look.

Is this what you spoke of when you had mentioned attaching it to the hull?

Attachments

• 12036670_1015116525219815_9201488056757875168_n.jpg
    12036670_1015116525219815_9201488056757875168_n.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 951
No.
I'm talking about apiece of 1-1/4" aluminum angle 4" tall. That goes along the transom and the side below the corner cap.

I wish I had a picture to show you. Many boats have them, I'm sure there are pictures on here that show what I'm trying to describe.

I thought I had what you were talking about figured... Those red lines in the pic would be the angle or stock or whatever I can find bolted to the outer edge of the transom (under the triangle thing) then over to the side of the boat there just in front of the triangle thing.

I'll keep looking around to see what I can find, but all I have found is braces mounted to the floor (which I would like to avoind if at all possible).

And thanks again for all the insight. It;s been a good help.

Well... This is what I came up with based on searching the web and the advise around here. 1-1/2 X 1/8 angle mounted to the transom and through the bottom of the boat. Angles were fun to find and grind. Be sure to have some scrap wood, or something, to template with first. All bolts are 5/16 like the transom bolts so should be able to hold well. Thanks again everyone.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg