14' alumacraft flat bottom jon boat, casting deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Clark

Reaction score
Rather than building a heavy wooden casting deck, i have a sheet of 1/8 thick aluminum i'm considering using to put a casting deck on the front of my jon boat. Here is my question:

With this being a flat bottom boat, it just doesnt seem like it would be very stable if i were to have a "deck" up almost at the top of the boat. I havent seen anyone else talk about this on their jon boats, so has anyone done this and how is the stability? I'd really like to be able to stand as i fish, but on a jon boat it just seems like itd be way to "tippy".

Thoughts?

I think it will depend on your boat. What you got?

I have a 1448 and stand on the nose of the boat to cast around. Overall the boat is very stable. I have a family and gear I usually like to haul so no deck for me.

Figure later in life will upgrade to a Bass Tracker or something. I say enjoy the Jon for what it is especially if less than 48" floor.

Its an alumacraft 14/48. If I stand in the boat, it just doesn't seem all that stable.

Not sure what to tell you I have a 1448 too and it is rock solid as far as I am concerned.

T, you pretty much answer your own concerns.
keep your center of gravity low, make a nice floor
instead of a raised deck. If you are unstable, all
it takes is one wink when you shoulda nodded and
down you go. Stability comes with experience.
Just like gaining your "sea legs" . . . it takes awhile.
and some people take longer than others. Some, not so long.
My 1648MV is very heavy and stable. But, I have an inner ear
balance problem, so I don't stand too much to cast, I just sit,
run the troller, and enjoy the day. But, I bought the boat this way and really like it.
Bass Boat 013.JPG
jus my Dos Centavos

be safe, have fun !!

I suppose it also depends on what your definition of tippy is.

I have owned and fished out of a number of different 14' boats, the current one is a 14.5' Sea Nymph and the previous one was a Lund S14 DLX. When fishing with 2 people in the boat I normally take the stern and like you I like to stand. Much of the time up on the rear seat.

Anytime one stands in these smaller boats they will become more unstable and you will feel the rocking motion. I have been rocked off my standing position but I have never felt that the boat was in danger of tipping over or taking on water. Though I guess I have looked pretty silly at times after losing my balance.

You can do as johnny suggests and stay low and seated up front or learn when the water is flat enough to allow you to comfortably stand. It's all about learning the limitations of each boat and feeling comfortable.

Good luck and tight lines!

Latest posts