Winter Storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl008018

Reaction score
I need to leave my 14ft V-bottom board outside for the winter and don't want to waste the money on a one time shrink wrap job.

Any recommendations on a nice cost effective cover or tarp to cover it up and durable enough to keep the Michigan snow and overall weather out of it?

Thanks!!

Most tarps/covers will do the job. You just need the proper support under it, as well as keeping it brushed off after a snow fall like you would a car.

A simple tall A-frame will do it! I just made one for my 16' skiff, using 2x4s as the vertical posts, about 4' higher than the gunnels. A 10' long 2x3 spans the 2 main vertical posts, then I put strapping out to fore and aft, screwed to that beam for a good foot.

Get some old/scrap remnant carpet and cover the wear points. I also put strapping as supports down from the main beam to 3" over the gunnels, where the vertical supports are. I'll try to post pictures.

But for years, on boats up to my toona boat (complete w/ tuna tower), I'd tarp them in this way - steep A-frame. The steep A-frame sheds snow and ice perfectly! Others here north of Boston were paying $10-$12 per foot for shrink wrap and I'd build a frame and buy a tarp for $100+ and get 3-4 seasons out of it before something needed repair or replacement.

Stay tuned for photos ... Oh, this year I bought a white tarp and it is awesome! It is bright underneath anytime there is light out, as I intend to do some more rigging before it gets TOO cold out. I had to tarp it now so the boat doesn't fill with leaves ...

I bought a 10' x 20', IIRC, UV resistant tarp off of ebay for around $30 for my 1648MV. I used 2 old small sawhorses, a 2x4 between them and another length of 2x4 from the bow sawhorse to an upside down 5 gallon bucket. The tarp is then secured to the trailer frame with bungee straps. Holds up well, even with a foot or more of snow and very high winds.

i used PVC pipe for mine. i wedged one end on one side of the floor and made a bow down to the otherside. stayed in place most of the the time.

14' if not heavy just get friend and flip upside down on trailer. That's what I did with my 14' I used to have, when stored it.

Latest posts