new 1970 project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckweed

Reaction score
I have been reading on the site for awhile now gathering all kinds of ideas. I picked this boat up yesterday and it prompted my first post. I have a few questions I wanted to ask about it and see if anyone may have an answer.
Have you ever seen one quite like it?
Does anyone have a guess as to the manufacturer of this boat?

The boat came with some paperwork that shows it was manufactured in 1970, but no indication of who it made it. It does have a replacement hull id number but that is the only tag or sticker of any kind I can find on the boat. The motor is a 1991 40hp mercury and the trailer is a 1993 ezy ryder. The boat is very heavy and measures 16ft with a 4ft bottom.

A little history on the boat, it was rigged up as a shock boat and has been sitting up the last several years. The probes and generator have been removed.

I put two new tires on it and pulled it home, now the fun begins.

IMG_5197.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5193.JPG
    IMG_5193.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_5194.JPG
    IMG_5194.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_5195.JPG
    IMG_5195.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 633
I gutted this boat and found a plate with some markings that had been painted over. The plate read:
PK-1651

After some internet searches it appears its a polar kraft. I assume the other numbers are hp ratings and capacities. I've never seen another boat with sides quite like this one and none of the pictures on the web are like it either. Do you think the sides and front deck were custom or added later?

I am going to paint it(maybe do the steel flex on the outside). Add a deck to the rear with some storage. then floor it in aluminum, don't plan on adding any wood back into it. The motor is going to need a good bit of attention it appears. I have big plans, but will have to see how many I can make happen.

I am pretty sure it is a Polar Kraft (pk-1651) probably in the 1978 range.
As far as the sides PK may have built it custom for what ever government agency ordered it.

Like a previous poster said "Nice Canvas?"

Latest posts