BEACHED . . . post a pic of your experience with location.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATRIOT

Reaction score
Okay, I'll go first . . . who says we don't have "tides" on freshwater???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [-o<

Attachments

• Beached1.jpg
    Beached1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,127
  • TideOut2.jpg
    TideOut2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,127
  • TideOut1.jpg
    TideOut1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,127
  • TideOut.jpg
    TideOut.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,127
9+' tides here near Glostah, MA. This is my old toona boat and I'd beach her on mid-day low tides, this is in Ipswich - a town made famous for their fried clams.

Apparently some local artist from Plum Island thought my boat made a nice Summer postcard! I wish I had known that they were snapping the photo, as one of the crew had left their kid's lifejacket out on my pulpit :oops: ...

Attachments

• Postcard1.jpg
    Postcard1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,087
Here's more ... again what we can do with 9' diurnal tides up here. These are sandbars that come up in Plum Island South in the Parker River estuary that encompasses the towns of Newbury, Ipswich and Rowley, MA.

4th of July a few years ago ... complete with a Led Zepplin tribute band ... powered by generators buried deep within that houseboat pictured ;) .

On the perimeter of the sandbar, we even setup a 9-hole golf course :mrgreen: .

Attachments

• MGround-Party1.jpg
    MGround-Party1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,085
  • MGround-Party2.jpg
    MGround-Party2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,085
My crew in front of my 'old' boat ... refurbished from an otherwise empty hull ... but I only have the 2 tins and 2 kayaks now.

She was a 1992 Parker 25' Sport Cabin that I bought from Harvard University of all places. It used to cruise Boston Haba [that’s “Harbor” ... for you southerners ;) ] with just a 150hp OB on the stern, taking water and sediment samples for the Harvard environmental program during the Federally-mandated cleanup of Boston Harbor. The PhD who led that program left once the harbor was clean ... and the boat was simply left abandoned in a boatyard.

I had to totally refurbish it, as it was literally an "empty shell". All systems like wiring, gauges, electronics, lights, pumps, OB, controls, etc., were dead from neglect, non-care, or vandalism; as kids smashed everything but the glass windows and frp hull! I bought just the bare hull with windows (unbroken ... thankfully) for $9K and redid everything. I added the wood pulpit, new bowrail, and a custom galley in to the port-side helm cabin with 2-burner propane stove, storage drawers, and sink with water supply.

I modeled it in the traditional “downeast” fashion with tuscan tan paint and teak trim. I did all the work myself. You can also see a lot of other DIY'r hardware on her that I made up, including the radar mast, pulpit, and rocket launchers. And the tower was added a few years later ... then a Suzi DF250 ... and the list goes on and on ...

Attachments

• Crew.jpg
    Crew.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,084
No tidal action here to speak of, but a world famous stream locally can rise (and/or fall) at an average 8 feet vertically, in a matter of about 30 minutes' time. No pics, but we rented a getaway cabin, one of two cabins at that particular area. I had my boat on a trailer. Our "neighbor" had his beached down at the river, loosely tied to a tree with a rope. I knew the river well enough to know not to go to sleep at night with the boat still in the water. I was bank fishing and had mentioned to him that it might be a good idea to pull it out or tie it better. He did tie it a little better.

Fished all day, all of us. Get back, he ties it off again, beached on the bank. This guy had no idea of the river. He asked me why I pull mine out. Told him about how fast the river rises and falls. At the time, river was down.

Sometime during the night the river rose. 2 generators online, river rose 8 feet or thereabouts. Get up in the morning to see his boat pulling hard against the little gum tree. I went and knocked on his door, he shows up half awake and I just pointed. There was no way he was going to get to the rope, OR the boat. Water was just too high and swift. He was about as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs for several hours, until the river went down. Once it was down, the boat was completely beached....in other words it was all the 3 of us could do to get it pulled back into the water. We did not know when the next generation time was, as that time of year it was real erratic. 2 units might gen all day and night for a few days. Or they may not gen at all for weeks on end.

Another guy did the same thing but with a pontoon, and oddly enough tied to the same tree. Same deal, river rose over night. I did not know cause I was sleeping too. The next morning I went down there to bank fish at 0530 and the pontoon was gone, and so was part of the tree that it was tied to. We got my boat and headed about 2 1/2 miles down stream, we found his up against a brush pile. There is a rapids area not far down from there and if it had gone that far, it would have been damaged for sure.

I parked it for fun, but with the mud motor I do it pretty often. 8)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1446825950123.jpg
    FB_IMG_1446825950123.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 853
I don't have a picture, but...some years ago, I owned a 20 ft. Gulf Coast. It was a tunnel hulled Boston Whaler knock off.

I slid up her on to a reef; jumped out and went wade fishing for a few hours. When I returned, she was almost completely high and dry. Our tides here are only a foot or two most of the time.

Luckily, I was with-in eyesight of a marina. I saw a boat pull into the marina. I called the marina owner and asked if he would ask the boaters to come and help. They came and hauled me off. I didn't have to spend the next six to twelve hours (until the next high tide) sitting on the reef, getting eaten by mosquitoes.

Not sure what I'd have done in the days before cell phones. Guess I'd just go wade fish some more, and wait it out.

regards, richg99

No picture available. We took my Crestliner to Lake Almanor (Orville, CA) and had reserved a campsite.. My partner asked how far the site was from the water, and was told 85'. Joke was that meant 85' vertical, near 1/2 mile from the "bay". We beached the boat, hiked to the site, at lunch, discussed the deal at length and decided to fish that day and head for home. Local forest fires made the lake into a smoke sink, and it wasn't real fun to breathe there. So we hiked back to the boat.

We had left it with the bow a couple of feet on the sand, with 20' of rope up on the beach. The lake level dropped a foot or two in the hour we were gone. It was really evident in that shallow bay. My 16'-6" boat was four feet from the water resting on a mixture of sand and mud. no cell phones, no one around to help, and the water wasn't coming up for about 6 months...so we pushed.

Luckily the mud was wet enough for the boat to slide. Unluckily, the mud was sticky enough to claim three shoes and a sock.

PATRIOT said:
Okay, I'll go first . . . who says we don't have "tides" on freshwater???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [-o<

Yep gota be ready daily on the ol Colorado to drop 4' er so below the dams,,,, about the same on down south Davis, Parker, Palo Verda and on down to Yuma,,, seen a lot high and dry boats and just as many lost boats from people that think they can beach a boat and walk away or throw a anchor out with 10' of rope,,,,

Did beach mine once, but I was run n 30 mph, dang jets can get ya in trouble at times,,,,was running at sun up with sun in face and following a track on gps from year before and the dang sand bar shifted :oops: ,,,, Down on the Colorado near Blythe ca

like the desert hut tin ya got there, desert rat enginering , seen plenty,,, as soon as I saw them pics and boat knew it was on the ol Colorado River

Attachments

• 100_2158-copy_edited (600 x 400) - Copy.jpg
    100_2158-copy_edited (600 x 400) - Copy.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 698
  • DSC_1064 (1200 x 803).jpg
    DSC_1064 (1200 x 803).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 698

Latest posts