Over the transom u pipe for bilge pump?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get some kind of u shaped hose/pipe that I can hang over the transom for a bilge pump?

I'd suggest using smooth bore hose with as few bends in it as possible as opposed to the corrugated hose that comes with bilge pumps. Looks like the washing machine hose is corrugated. Less bends/angles equal less resistance when pumping water out, same goes with smooth bore hose. I put a hole in my boat 2 summers ago, and quickly found my bilge pump wasn't able to keep up. Added a second bilge pump and changed the hoses out to the smooth bore hose. Very noticeable difference in amount of water pumped out with the smooth bore hose vs corrugated.

BigTerp said:
... and changed the hoses out to the smooth bore hose. Very noticeable difference in amount of water pumped out with the smooth bore hose vs corrugated.
Yes, corrugated hoses degrade output a good 10+%or more. Adding to it that the pumps are rated with nominal supplied voltages of 12.6 VDC, friction from any heights one needs to lift the water, resistance from hoses and or 90-degree fittings and a brand new pump can work only at 66 to 85% of its rated capacity.

When rigging 2 bilge pumps, I also plumb one out each side of the boat, so in case she heels you still have some pumping capability.

DaleH said:
BigTerp said:
... and changed the hoses out to the smooth bore hose. Very noticeable difference in amount of water pumped out with the smooth bore hose vs corrugated.
Yes, corrugated hoses degrade output a good 10+%or more. Adding to it that the pumps are rated with nominal supplied voltages of 12.6 VDC, friction from any heights one needs to lift the water, resistance from hoses and or 90-degree fittings and a brand new pump can work only at 66 to 85% of its rated capacity.

When rigging 2 bilge pumps, I also plumb one out each side of the boat, so in case she heels you still have some pumping capability.

Great idea on the two pump set up! Thanks.

Don

Take a piece of PVC pipe and wrap a wet towel around it and put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. the pipe will be like a wet noodle. if it isn't put it back in for another 15 or so seconds. Be real careful though because it will be hot as heck.

DaleH said:

This.

I also have each of my bilge pumps wired to a separate power source. One to my starting battery and one to my trolling motor battery. That way if I ever loose power to one for whatever reason, I still have another functioning pump.

Some of this seems like overkill, but trust me, after experiencing a hole in your hull it'll never seem like you have enough water evacuating power in your boat.

DaleH said:
I also plumb one out each side of the boat, so in case she heels you still have some pumping capability.
While I'm sure there would be some amount of difference in flow rates, I wonder if it would be a significant difference in gph whether the output hose end was above or below water level. It certainly wouldn't stop the pump from working just because the output dipped under water.

JMichael said:
DaleH said:
I also plumb one out each side of the boat, so in case she heels you still have some pumping capability.
While I'm sure there would be some amount of difference in flow rates, I wonder if it would be a significant difference in gph whether the output hose end was above or below water level. It certainly wouldn't stop the pump from working just because the output dipped under water.

I think Dale is referring to if the boat heels to one side all the water in the hull will be on that side. Having only one pump, say on the starboard side, would be ineffective if the boat heels to the port side.

Latest posts