Trolling Motor Position?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint KY

Reaction score
In mounting my trolling motor, how critical and/or advisable is getting the motor head closer to the centerline of the boat. The motor I removed was mounted two inches away from and parallel with the gunnel. The motor I am installing has a longer base and has many more available mounting holes. Angling the motor mount would put the motor head closer to the centerline and allow me to use more of the mounting holes. I don’t see a down-side of this but thought I would ask those who have already addressed this. What say you?

Below is my crude attempt to illustrate the bow of the boat.

TM mounting.png

I have found that it doesn't make that much difference unless you do a lot of fishing in moving water such as rivers. If that is the case then as close to centerline as possible. In the flats that I fish it isn't that important.

Clint, my TM is a 36" shaft and the control head hangs off the port bow a little
while in the stored position similar to your drawing #2.
When deployed, the TM is 4" off center. I do not have river currents to
worry about and if it gets so windy I can't troll and fish at the same time,
I gather up my toys and go home. LOL I am a fair weather sailor.
This is my first TM of this type and really love it. My others were transom clamps.
Bass Boat 022.JPG

I can't believe that the "loss of efficiency" of an angled TM ...not on the center line.. makes any difference at all. I've even mounted a TM off the side of one small boat. Steering was a bit challenged in that instance.

Go for whatever makes the most sense to you, and leaves you the most free-deck.

Unless you TM fish in massive waves, once you get the same number of mounting screws that you originally had..the extras are probably not truly necessary.

Just my uninformed and biased opinion, of course.

regards, richg99

richg99 said:
I can't believe that the "loss of efficiency" of an angled TM ...not on the center line.. makes any difference at all. I've even mounted a TM off the side of one small boat. Steering was a bit challenged in that instance.

I can see where the offset motor might make steering "different" but I also doubt the loss of efficiency.

richg99 said:
Unless you TM fish in massive waves, once you get the same number of mounting screws that you originally had..the extras are probably not truly necessary.

I will use all the screws I can get to fit as I am going from a motor that has perhaps 30# to one that has 105# of thrust.

And as far as "massive waves", "that ain't gonna happen". I am a fair-weather fisherman. If it is too blustery I am home watching fishing shows on TV.

Thanks

you ever watch the Bill Dance Bloopers on YouTube ??
there is one posted somewhere where he takes off like a Banshee
in his big bass boat and forgets to pull up his trolling motor !!!
LOL of course it is destroyed - but funny as all get out.

(am pretty sure it was Bill Dance, but it could have been some other TV host).
and it has probably happened to hundreds of people.

re "losing a trolling motor while taking off on plane"...

Heck, it happened to me. It was, of course, a 30 lb MinnKota that was just clamped onto a bracket on the bow.

I'll bet it has happened to far more than "hundreds"....Ha Ha

richg99

My bow mount Powerdrive trolling motor is also mounted just off center of my deep V. It's never been a problem even when I fish the river. One trick I use if I find the boat is pulling one side, I drop my gas motor back in the water and use it as a rudder. Works great in the river.

Johnny said:
you ever watch the Bill Dance Bloopers on YouTube ??
there is one posted somewhere where he takes off like a Banshee
in his big bass boat and forgets to pull up his trolling motor !!!
LOL of course it is destroyed - but funny as all get out.

(am pretty sure it was Bill Dance, but it could have been some other TV host).
and it has probably happened to hundreds of people.

Oh man, I did that a few weeks ago. And since the trolling motor is wired to the battery, we'd have been SOL when it yanked the battery overboard.

I gunned the engine and everything was fine for about 20 seconds, but I noticed we weren't going as fast as we should be. Look back to see the trollinng motor mount sliding off the transom. I reached back and grabbed it and simultaneously cut the main engine.

Latest posts