General Question In Regards To Using Wood On A Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD Fishing

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Simple question here and it may have an obvious answer, but here it is...

Regardless of the type of wood used in your aluminum build (be it for a transom, deck support, flooring, storage lockers, etc.). AND regardless of the way it is "sealed" (epoxy, epoxy resin, gel, fiber, thompsons, deck paint, rhino type liner, etc.) - the main objective to keep the wood from any type of water infiltration to avoid rot and/or pre mature wear, delaminating, or corrosion to aluminum, no?

Yes, that is correct! Take care to seal them edges really well, multiple coats as previousnone tacks up.

Just be sure not to use PT wood against aluminum ...

Good. That's basically the gist I got from reading hundreds, if not thousands, of post regarding wood type, sealer type, who's right, who's wrong, what's best, what's cheapest, etc. One can go absolutely insane getting into that debate. But, if in the simplest of terms, the main objective is to just seal/waterproof the wood so that it sheds water rather than absorbs - then that is easy. A lot easier than the thousands of thread debates make it.

also, a lot of people are removing a wood transom that is over 50 years old
and with only a small amount of deterioration that has only a couple
of layers of just paint on it for protection.
Those are days long gone of using good glue, good wood and good paint.
And you are correct, no matter the topic - there is, and always will be,
heated debates over it. Also, no matter what the rule is, there is usually
an exception to that rule......

it just boils down to - - - - your boat / your call.

Enjoy the ride !!

That's basically what I figured. My little project is nothing more than a $250 boat and trailer so I am in no way shape or form wanting to drop more into it than I did for the boat itself. I'm not going to be buried in the thing (maybe sunk but not buried). I have a ton of decent plywood laying around, MDF, sealer, geocel fiber sealer, aluminum stock, etc.

Has anyone here tried something on their wood that was just an epic disaster?

I used some MDF in a haste when I redid the transom (seen here - https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39388). I have the MDF all sealed up nice using the the GeoCel Fiber gunk, but after getting more into the build I started getting concerned about all the modifications I am looking to do and weight issues (1' x 44" tansom is 20+ lbs :( ).

I read that MDF is not preferred so it's by no means an issue to replace. I just had a ton of it around. I actually bought a 2' x 4' sheet of 3/4" exterior this morning that is in immaculate shape as far as how clean the exterior panels are on the sheet. Quite surprised. So, I will remove the old (new) MDF transom and replace it. Not that big of an issue there as I am just mocking things up at this point to ensure a proper fit & an even float.

Funny that you mentioned bedliner, Johnny, because that's what I am leaning towards for the front & rear decks along with the floor. It is a small boat (11' 6") so there's not a whole lot of standing room therefore not alot of stuff to finish. But, I refuse carpet. Marine Vinyl looks cool, but again I am not looking to exceed the cost of my boat with carpet/vinyl rolls, glue, etc. I was just going to seal up the floor and deck panels real good, toss on some of that bedliner stuff (mostly for texture/anti-skid) and then hit everything with a finish coat of camo to match the exterior.

Anyone have some "Don't Do It" stories on the bedliner...

Latest posts