Smart tabs.... What's your opinion?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishfreek

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
This topic was brought up in another thread but I didn't want to steal that thread by asking my question.

What is your opinion on SMART TABS for a 16' Jon boat?

Do they have a purpose on that size boat?

Would it depend on use?

Tell me your opinions on the subject please.

I would not use them on a boat that small, as smaller boats are VERY sensitive to trim and loading and from friends who tried them, the Smart Tabs just weren't an all-around solution. They were awesome in one application and horrendous in another ... e.g., a down-deployed tab in a following sea is a dangerous condition.

I'm of the opinion they'd only be an option for a ~18' to light 21/22' boat. Any longer & heavier and I'd opt for plane-type trim tabs and for smaller lighter boats, fins or foils.

I hope more people chime in with their input for you!

Three boats (14 CS; 16 CS; 16 El Pescador tunnel hull) the best thing I ever did for all three boats. Quick to plane; no porpoising; no loss of speed....What more can I say??

My present 1648 Lowe tinny doesn't seem to need them so far.

richg99

richg99 said:
Three boats (14 CS; 16 CS; 16 El Pescador tunnel hull) the best thing I ever did for all three boats. Quick to plane; no porpoising; no loss of speed....What more can I say??
Wow, great endorsement Rich. Sounds like really performed for you!

I have used them on several flats boats in the past with VERY good success. They definitely help get up on a plane when you are in a foot of water or less. All the boats have been small 16" or less and not much weight. All except 1 was tiller steer and with so much extra weight in the rear they seemed like a good idea and in most cases they were. The only one that it didn't make much difference on was the Dolphin 156 a fiberglass side console that would almost jump on a plane in a stiff wind ( I loved that boat ).

I was just curious about the experience of others on a jon boat situation. Since I will be fishing the flats with this boat I will get some ordered as soon as money allows.

Yes. On the first CS 14, it wouldn't get on plane easily. I added a Doel fin type device that helped. But, it slowed her down.

Went to Smart Tabs and it cured everything.

richg99

Smart tabs for me resulted in a loss of top speed. I talked with them at the factory several times and tried various settings but none were an improvement.

Sent them back and got a refund but still have the holes I had to drill in the hull so am not happy with the total experience.

Weight balance and motor trim should solve your problem.

Dragging tabs through the water reduces efficiency.

Vin...I am sorry that that happened to you.

For my first boat, I made a mistake and chose the wrong size actuators. Mine were too strong for my needs. They kept the tabs too deep and never flexed as they should.

One call to the factory and I was able to exchange them for the proper size for free. Never had any issues after that.

richg99

richg99 said:
Vin...I am sorry that that happened to you.

For my first boat, I made a mistake and chose the wrong size actuators. Mine were too strong for my needs. They kept the tabs too deep and never flexed as they should.

One call to the factory and I was able to exchange them for the proper size for free. Never had any issues after that.

richg99

I used three different sized actuators supplied from the factory. I graphed RPM at various speeds. Also ran a string from the one tab to up on the gunnel on the passenger side, this string terminating with a rubber band, knot in the string, tape marks on the gunnel marking tab level and fully down so I could see were the tab was at all times. The bottom line is that the tabs only work by 'dragging' in the water behind the boat. This drag slows the boat down.

No doubt I could get on plane and get the bow down sooner but there is no getting around the fact that it took more horsepower to do it and it takes a bite out of top speed.

I solved a purposing problem by adjustments in fixed trim and weight distribution.

I have used them and they worked great, however, I am using them on a boat in salt water and the actuator has not held up very well at all, they only seem to last a couple years and I need to replace it because it freezes up due to corrosion or just breaks because it is corroded. If you are in fresh water go for it. I can't recommend if using in salt from my experience.

Latest posts