newbie with paint question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie123

Reaction score
Hello im new to the site and just want to say what a great source of info this place is.I have gotten so many ideas for my own project.I own a mid 80s 14ft deep v sylvan with a 15 merc. The boat motor and trailer is in decent shape but lacking some of the comfort features my previous 18 ft fish and ski had.I would like to add a flat floor some storage and a front casting deck,

My first question is my paint is in ok shape on the hull ,it has a few scratches and some dock rash and fade no flaking but I would like the change out the color and freshen it up. Do i have to strip it down to bare aluminum before painting it?? I see so many guys on here take it right down , Can I not just give it a sanding with a palm sander and light grit to haze the paint then prime and paint ??
Thanks for any input Jamie

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 872
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 872
just give it a sanding with a palm sander and light grit to haze the paint then prime and paint
Just don't use etching primer over existing paint - it is for bare metal only.
Deep gouges and unsightly scratches can be filled with Bondo, prime and paint.

welcome to the Wonderful World of TIN !!!
where dreams of vintage do come true.

Only hit with the self etching primer if you sand areas to get to bare aluminum. I the rest of the paint is on good, just scuff it up and sand and paint. I had too many spots on mine bubbling/peeling to want to take the easy route, so I went bare aluminum before self etching and priming. I wish I could have just sanded and painted!

ok thanks for the replies I live in Canada so I have a bout 7 months of winter ahead to work on the boat before it hits soft water again lol

Jamie123 said:
ok thanks for the replies I live in Canada so I have a bout 7 months of winter ahead to work on the boat before it hits soft water again lol
Welcome to Tin Boats.
I thought you Canadians used your boats like toboggans in the winter?

Make sure you use a high quality polyurethane 2 part paint. Something like DuPont Imron or one of the other companies version of that type paint. That's what guys use on small planes. Of course you should spray those sorts of paint and it will look better than brushing.
If you spray that type do it outdoors and with a new freshly opened charcoal paint mask. Freshly opened means just that not just used for an hour 2 months ago. The real recommendation is a fresh air supply . Issocyanates are nasty stuff and they fume off even when the paint overspray is gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Imron is wayy overkill on a fishing boat. Also, Have you priced it lately?

The poison in it goes right thru the charcoal mask . . . not something an inexperienced painter should mess with.

Latest posts