what do I clean the scale off my boat with?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardwoodcd

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I just tore into my first project! Alumacraft 1648 flatbottom. I'm going to have a LOT of questions for all of you as I get into this. I'm planning on having this project done by ice out in the spring.

What do I clean the hull of the boat with? Really bad lime, scale, crap, you get the point. Whats the best product?

And I'm already taking pics of the project as I go. I'll start a build thread at some point.

Thanks! Casey

by Pappy » 07/11/2015 on the https://www.aomci.org website.
https://aomci.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1966&hilit=Phosphoric+acid

Phosphoric Acid.
Deck cleaner is the common use for it. Also available through any aluminum supply place
or a marine dealer that offers it as a pontoon cleaner.
Mix it as outlined in the instructions for use and have a water hose handy.
It won't take paint off but will clean aluminum like you won't believe.
Start at the BOTTOM and work up. Make sure you spray the acid evenly and use plenty.
Starting from the top down will leave streaks.
After using this I use common SOS pads and water.
The pads will be difficult to make a pass with until the oxidation comes off.
You will feel this pretty quickly and then the pad is super slick against the aluminum surface.
Leaves a nice clean sheen to the boat.
Pappy's '66 Alumacraft.jpg
I couldn't find the thread of how Pappy did his boat, but it was in the same condition as yours.
Lots of elbow grease and different sizes of steel wool.

Thanks for your responses! Please look for a new thread as I have tons of questions!

I just used toilet bowl cleaner on my Lowe jon boat. It worked great. The boat is a OD green paint. Previous owner never cleaned it at all. It is a 1998 model.

Squirt it on. Use a brush and hose it off. Protect your skin and eyes. I did it in the front yard since I didn't want to see what it would do to my concrete drive. I wet the grass down when I was all done and it was fine.

Darn boat looks like new. Don't even want to use it now.

Latest posts