looking for rod holder inventions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river warrior

Reaction score
im looking for some rod holder inventions. I mostly fish for catfish on the Cape Fear River in North Carolina. im incredibly cheap and I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on expensive brand names. I don't go fishing to show off my boat. mostly looking for homemade / DIY stuff wood built, pvc combinations bent metal, something I could build in my garage. This could be a great resource for the Tin Boats page.

Attachments

• Boat 04.jpg
    Boat 04.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,485
  • kayak rod holder.jpg
    kayak rod holder.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,485
the tubes facing forward are for baiting or additional fishing. the metal holders facing backwards are designed for river fishing. All facing down river.

Attachments

• 20150913_124126.jpg
    20150913_124126.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,465
I don't do catfishing - but - this is my wife's Crappie Station on our boat.
The curved rod holders are made of 6" PVC pipe. They are available on e-bay.
I made these myself with a drill press, circular saw and small band saw.

and no, she does not fish all 8 at one time.... maybe 4 LOL.

Attachments

• Bass Boat 014.JPG
    Bass Boat 014.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 1,375
  • Bass Boat 011.JPG
    Bass Boat 011.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,375
Johnny,

I passed a couple that had a setup something like that on Lake Harney yesterday could that have been you? They had at least 8 rods in the back holders and another 6 upfront. The boat looked like floating porcupine.

I made a couple out of PVC when I was a crappie man...but was never happy with them... always worried it would break if I leaned on it too hard... This stuff works great for making canopies, railings and rod holders... The fittings are designed to be used with electrical conduit pipe.... super cheap.. easy to cut with a spin cutter.... All different sizes and angles... I bet with a little imagination a fella could create a fantastic rig..

https://www.ysbw.com/Canopy-Fittings-1-Inch-s/7.htm

for example a simple n shaped cross bar with a bunch of these mounted on it... they could be positioned anywhere you want and angled however you liked:

https://www.ysbw.com/Canopy-Fitting-1-Sliding-Elbow-p/2235.htm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447364165.924099.jpg

I had this on my old rig. It's 2" steel pipe with 1 3/16" hole saws right through both sides on a 45 degree angle. Wit 2" floor flanges anchoring it to the corner braces of the hull. Solid as a rock if your worried about stability. I actually towed a couple boats with it back to shore. I'm a sprinkler fitter so I had the material in scrap at work so I couldn't price it out for you.

Night time Catfishing is great at our fishcamp. How about this invention. Snag a wireless doorbell kit from HD like this.
0d49c030-2461-48a5-a1c6-747ebaa7761d_400.jpg

Make a rod holder that holds the little transmitter just away from the rod so when a fish hits it bends the rod a little and activates the door bell. Plug chime in inside in the A/C and relax and watch TV in comfort. When chime alerts you got a hit run outside and reel em' in. :mrgreen:

I know, it's cheatin'.

nowgrn 4 that is an awesome idea. sounds a little like carp fishing bite alarms. I already have a twitch reflex for the clip on bells. it would probably mess me up pretty bad if I started using a door bell not to mention my dog hates the door bell and sometimes he goes fishing with me. lol.

Adjustable rails for rod holders. I slide them forward when flathead fishing so I don't have to move to get to the rod. Slide them aft for full rear deck access or more room. I use them in the rear postion when lake fishing for blues too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cbZIlywes

The Kayak community has tons of PVC rod holder ideas. Just do a search on Youtube for more than you can believe..... or....do an image search on Google for the same thing.

When building many different PVC items for my boats/kayaks, I always screw them together (not glue them) until I try them out. Inevitably, I have to make something shorter or longer and the screws allow me to easily adjust whatever the original plan was. I glue them together when they have been used a half dozen times and are found to be OK.

richg99

A few of mine, top was a proto before gluing, replaced the cross w a T.

rodholder.JPG

pvc 4way holder.JPG

Attachments

• my 1st pvc rodholder.JPG
    my 1st pvc rodholder.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 320
My tiller steer boat has 3 factory pedestal seat mounts but I only use 2 so I removed the bottom rubber portion of one of the pedestals and screwed it to a piece of 1+1/2" pvc and then added 4 rod holders (only 3 in this pic.). When ever needed I just pop this into the unused seat base.

Attachments

• P1070088.JPG
    P1070088.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 271

Latest posts