Newbie questions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardwoodcd

Reaction score
I have jumped in with both feet into unknown territory! I have done a ton of reading on this site in hopes of educating myself. Pretty sure I can get the boat water tight but I'm looking forward a bit so I can get a few things ordered. So I have a few questions to start.

1. I'd like to know what kind of etching primer is the best to use?
2. What kind of paint to use?
3. I've never really worked on a metal project before. I'm not scared to get into it but want to know what peoples opinions are for framing up everything once I get that far? aluminum framing or wood? aluminum decking or wood? combination of the two? I'm leaning toward a wood deck at least so I can make my hatch's a bit easier.
4. What are your reasons for different framing and decking?
5. What thickness plywood for casing decks if I choose that way? 3/4? less?
6. As for the floor, I'm leaning towards filling in between the ribs with 1 1/2" foam and then covering it with aluminum. What size should I use?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go!
Thanks!
Casey

I wrote this article a while back - - - it might shed some light on your project.
https://www.tinboats.net/primer-and-paint-basics/

If you have already done tons of reading in the archives,
you should have seen tons of photos on different builds on
framing and decking.
The "search" feature will guide you right to some very awesome builds.

hardwoodcd said:
I have jumped in with both feet into unknown territory! I have done a ton of reading on this site in hopes of educating myself. Pretty sure I can get the boat water tight but I'm looking forward a bit so I can get a few things ordered. So I have a few questions to start.

1. I'd like to know what kind of etching primer is the best to use? I, and a lot of other guys on here, used Rustoleum Self-Etching Primer in a spray can. Easy to apply and works well. You only need to use it on bare metal though. Places with paint already just need a scuffing and cleaning and then you can pain right overtop.
2. What kind of paint to use? Personal preference really. I think there is a little right up on paint on the home page that would be helpful.
3. I've never really worked on a metal project before. I'm not scared to get into it but want to know what peoples opinions are for framing up everything once I get that far? aluminum framing or wood? aluminum decking or wood? combination of the two? I'm leaning toward a wood deck at least so I can make my hatch's a bit easier. Aluminum has several advantages over wood. Two big ones are it's lighter and no worries with it rotting. The disadvantage is cost. But, you can negate some of that cost by using old aluminum street signs as many guys on here have done. I used aluminum angle and square stock for my framing and aluminum sheet for my deck/floor. No regrets. And working with metal isn't really that difficult. This was my first project ever working with metal pretty much in any capacity. For cutting my aluminum I used an angle grinder with metal cutoff wheel. Worked the best for me.
4. What are your reasons for different framing and decking? See above.
5. What thickness plywood for casing decks if I choose that way? 3/4? less? I'll let others who used wood in their builds give their opinions on this.
6. As for the floor, I'm leaning towards filling in between the ribs with 1 1/2" foam and then covering it with aluminum. What size should I use?The foam in between the ribs on the hull floor is a good idea, especially if you remove any factory installed foam. It will also provide some support for your floor and help to keep it from flexing in between the ribs. If you do remove any factory installed foam, make sure you replace it with the same amount of foam. The pink or blue foam sheets from Lowe's or Home Depot work well. For my floor and deck I used .125" aluminum sheet and 1" x 1" aluminum angle to frame it all up. Plenty sturdy. Probably could have went lighter, as others have proven thinner sheet works fine. But I'm a big guy at 6'8" 270#'s, so I wanted to make sure my framing and deck/floor didn't have any flexing issues.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go!
Thanks!
Casey

Latest posts