Rear U Bolt Tie Down detail

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint KY

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the inside of U Bolt tie down mounted on a boat transom?
My '85 Monark does not have any and I would like to add two.
I am relegated now to using a strap all the way across the transom.
They come with a backing plate but I am wondering if there is any other bracing needed.

Clint, I just bought a new set off of E-Bay just for tie-down straps on my wood boat.
not for pulling other boats or water skis.
With a 1.5" wood transom, there is no need for additional backing plates
other than what comes with the bolt package.
two stop nuts and one backer goes on the outside and one backer and
lock nuts go on the inside. After I get them installed, I will cut off the
excess with a cut-off grinder wheel and file smooth.
The force of holding the boat down is lateral - up and down. So IMHO, no.
One boat is all aluminum, so there is only washers on the back.
The other boat is all wood, so I only use the small backer plate that comes with it.
Of course, you can add any kind of backing of your choosing.
Such as a piece of 1x4" aluminum flat bar. If the bolts you purchase does
not come with the stainless backer, then yes, you need to add something
other than just washers if you do not go through the transom wood.
This is a photo of what I have on my 1648 Blue Fin . . .
1/8" boat hull material then an additional 1/8" plate for security.

Attachments

• U Bolt.jpg
    U Bolt.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,586
  • Transom Bolts.jpg
    Transom Bolts.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,577
I would suggest using some type of backing to spread the forces out a bit more as well. What you use should be water proof, even a scrap piece of aluminum diamond plate, etc would work just fine, unless it will be seen, then make it look pretty. GL

Thanks - I believe the aluminum is only .01 on the Monark so I will definitely get some sort of backing to spread the load.

Clint KY said:
Does anyone have a picture of the inside of U Bolt tie down mounted on a boat transom?
My '85 Monark does not have any and I would like to add two.
I am relegated now to using a strap all the way across the transom.
They come with a backing plate but I am wondering if there is any other bracing needed.

If your will be drilling the u-bolt holes directly through the wood of the transom then I see no need for a backing. I installed a set on my rig just like shown in Johnny's post. Rock solid.

Note after drilling the holes, but before I inserted the u-bolt I sealed the inside of the holes with resin. You could also just as easily use 3M 5200 to do this but - do be sure to seal the holes.

CMOS

I was using a set of those commercially made transom tie downs from the handles of my 1448 to the trailer and got so tired of having to adjust them every time I put the boat back on the trailer that I went with a single strap over the rear of the boat from side to side....exactly what it sounds like you want to replace. I've made sure that the strap is way too strong and that there isn't any sharp edges. One ratchet and the boat is a solid part of the trailer now.

momule...Good point.

Up until now, I have been using a large strap OVER the stern. That has been working fine.

My new hull and trailer are set up for two transom tie downs.

But, you are right. If I go to transom tie downs, then I have two lengths to adjust and tighten, versus the one strap that I use now.

Thanks for giving me some reason to think further about the issues.

richg99

I dislike the strap across the stern because I have to thread it between the fuel line and the motor control lines and the steering cable. And the transom of the boat is lined up exactly with the place I hook the strap making it too far back to suit me.

I used a transom strap on my jon boat for years with no problem but it was a tiller steer and I did not have control lines and a steering cable to worry about.

I haven't done this yet because the new hull is still at a dealer getting the motor and console moved...but...

....I was thinking of simply adding two open hooks onto the strap. Hook one end of the strap to the port connection on the trailer; hook first movable hook onto the U-bolt on the boat; then hook the second movable hook onto the U-bolt on the boat...and lead the end of the strap down to the starboard side trailer connection.

That way, you are only tightening one strap, but you are using both of the stern U-bolts and both of the rear trailer connections.

The strap would look something like this..... port.. }./***\.{ ..starboard

Obviously, everything has to line up, but I would imagine that most boat/trailer combinations would be aligned this way. I'll shoot a picture when I get the boat back, but that may not be for a week or so. richg99

richg99 said:
I haven't done this yet because the new hull is still at a dealer getting the motor and console moved...but...

....I was thinking of simply adding two open hooks onto the strap. Hook one end of the strap to the port connection on the trailer; hook first movable hook onto the port U-bolt on the boat; then hook the second movable hook onto the starboard U-bolt on the boat...and lead the end of the strap down to the starboard side trailer connection.

That way, you are only tightening one strap, but you are using both of the stern U-bolts and both of the rear trailer connections.

The strap would look something like this..... port.. }./***\.{ ..starboard

Obviously, everything has to line up, but I would imagine that most boat/trailer combinations would be aligned this way. I'll shoot a picture when I get the boat back, but that may not be for a week or so. richg99

I use one strap across, I wrap around the frame and hook it so its own weight holds the hook tight. Then attach other side, usually one or two clicks and it holds fine. I was racheting it down tight but noticed I was bowing the sides. Guess you wouldn't worry about that if you had transom tie downs.
The straps have rubbed the paint off the gunnels too.

Latest posts