Max Capacity / Weight Limit Concerns

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD Fishing

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Below is a copy of my boat specs. They are pretty generic when it comes to the weight limits. All it states is that it has a max of 4 persons.

I am in the process of adding decks, motor, and modifications and I am very weary of going over the weight limit and sinking this SOB. Is the 4 person max load for capacity only, or is it a being used as a general weight limit? In 1954 was the average person 150 lbs, or 200 lbs (big difference between 600 lbs and 800 lbs), ya know. I've looked and looked and this is the ONLY info I could find.

Anyone know where to get any weight limit info, or anyone here have a boat similar to this that has a known weight limit on it to use as a general guideline? I'd hate to get this all done, get 50 yards off the dock and have a severe problem on my hands.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Arktravbb001_2.jpg
    Arktravbb001_2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 613
Previous per person weight limits were based on 140-pounds per person.

In 2011 (see: https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5212/aawpp.asp) the USCG raised that limit to 185-pounds per person.

I myself would not add full decking or full floors into a small boat due to capacity and stability concerns, plus to maintain a decent weight-to-horsepower ratio.

On one small skiff where I really needed/wanted a flat 'floor' to walk on, I made just a 18" to 2' wide "walkway" down the center ... just wide enough for me to safely move fore-to-aft without tripping over the ribs and all.

A 11.5 ft boat, 4 ft beam (not floor) and air flotation, 15 inch transom, rated for only 5hp. Boat with 4 people in that and you are asking for trouble. Gonna be very iffy.
Tim

The boat will never hold more than 2 guys. And most, if not ALL, of the time it will only be myself and occasionally the dog. I am trying to figure out what amount of weight (motor, deck, seats, storage, batteries, etc) I can add to the boat for it to be a good 1 man fisher without going well over the max load.

If I'm 250lbs, and if my max load is say 500, then I have a 250 lb cushion to add flooring, motor, etc to it. I am just looking to find out what an average max load is for a boat such as this so I know what my limits are before I go all out on modifying stuff.

For what this is worth to someone that runs across this thread I will tell you this:

My 1954 Arkansas Traverler PT-12 is rated for 4 persons & a 5hp motor (max). Today I did a float test with 835-850 pounds and the water never got above the waterline ridge and it wasn't any more "tippy" than it would be at a lesser weight. I was quite surprised it was fine.

So, if you happen to have a 12' Semi-V tin that doesn't come with any specs or capacity ratings, know that I loaded my to the gills with more weight than I would ever carry to see what it would haul and I got up to the 835-850 pound mark with no issues. I would NOT recommend it by any means but it may be info worth knowing.

Cheers

Weight rating is based upon the amount of weight the boat can support swamped. Check the USCG boatbuilder's handbook for more details

https://uscgboating.org/regulations/boatbuilders-handbook.php

Latest posts