Advice Needed for Selecting a Potential Fish Ski Type Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahalls

Reaction score
I am thinking of trading in a couple of existing boats for one that will fit the bill as both a easily-towed fishing boat and a general purpose boat at our family (shared) cottage. Currently have an older deep v 17' fliberglass bowrider with an I/O at the cottage ( big open inland lake that can get rough at times). Don't tow it around since the trailer is in bad shape and it's pretty heavy. Store it off season at the local marina. My smaller boat is a 14' Starcraft tinboat with a 20 hp Honda. I keep that one at home and tow it around to fish.Thinking of getting a fish-ski type boat that would be fun at the cottage and also relatively easy to tow around and good for 2-3 guys to fish on decent sized water comfortably. Trying to stay around 16-17 ft. Am I on the right track or will I be unhappy with the compromises that come with trying to find a boat that can do both? Any advice on makes/models? Thanks!

welcome aboard - where are you from ??

with your boating background already established,
and, you already own a few boats, you probably
already have something in mind that will fit your needs.
Just keep searching in your area.

Personally, I have only pulled water skis with a Deep V boat.
I would not pull skis with a tri-hull or MV or flat bottom Jon.
IMO, 95% of boats trailer well, it just depends on your tow vehicle
and of course what condition the trailer is in as well as the terrain.

I guess to answer your question, I would vote for a wide body 16' Deep V hull,
remote steering, shallow flat floor, and don't load it down with excess weight
in a rebuild. Set it up for 4 to 6 pedestal seats: no pedestal post for zooming around
having fun. Then, pedestal post seats for fishing. Again, not getting carried away on a rebuild.
How often will you fish out of it versus how often will you be just zooming around having fun?
The younger generation can make anything work LOL
The older generation would have two boats: one for fishing, another for family fun.
Each would be comfortable for its intended purpose - don't mix them up.

have fun - good luck

Thanks for that - I'm from the frozen north here in Southern Ontario Canada. Think you are right on the size and style- tho i realize it will come with compromises. I think if i do go with one boat it will be used 80% for fishing ( mostly by me) so a 16' deep v with a floor and pedestal seats will likely be what i end up with. Are there national brands that are generally thought to be better than others as far as build quality, durability, re-sale etc? Thanks again.

Latest posts