Help understanding pedestal seats law

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20022

Reaction score

I'm having a hard time understanding here. Are you allowed to have seats on pedestals like the one in the picture or no. I keep hearing folks saying no one allowed on a pedestal seat while riding. But lund and other manufacturers clearly have it this way from factory. What's up guys? Thanks!

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448477696408.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1448477696408.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 1,087
I did a Google search. This comment may help your understanding....

"PEDESTAL FEATURES
Swivl-Eze 238 Series Pedestals offer ergonomic controls and smooth, wobble-free
motion. They meet Type A Driver ABYC H-31 regulations for driver’s seat applications.
Installers and users must abide by all ABYC and U.S. Coast Guard regulations for seating.
Pedestal is ordered with Auto Lock handle at Left, Right, or (on Seat Mount versions)
Forward. Handle can’t be modified to a different orientation.
HOW TO USE THE PEDESTAL
WARNING
According to ABYC and Coast Guard regulations, when the vessel is in motion, seat
must face forward with Auto Lock handle engaged (Figure 1)"

Well that makes sense. The pedestal must lock in the forward direction to be compliant. Well mine don't lock, so there goes that. I'll have to find some that do lock.

How about drilling a hole and add one of these..

richg99

https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-hitch-pin-std-stl-zinc-38x4-38-l-3hlp6/i/G0460451/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1dWyBRDqiJye6LjkhfIBEiQAw06ITl-WVkKdk0qeLEyyGibe5K7Ypf4YXZLPBtuGXZJ4COcaAiym8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Z03ABzfo5oz.JPG

Good idea rich. I'll take a picture of what I have when I get home from work. Then we can come up with something.

The boat I just bought was built in 1959. I want to deck it and put pedestal seats in it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448501154470.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448501154470.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,034
  • uploadfromtaptalk1448501170657.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448501170657.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,034
  • uploadfromtaptalk1448501181733.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448501181733.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,034
Regardless of the law, I wouldn't be perched up on that seat with the boat running at any speed.

I've had those seats (for bow and stern bass seats only) and have always had any guests get off when we put the boat on plane.

My present seats are the 2 or 3 inch thicker shafts. I do lean on one when I run at slower planing speeds.

richg99

p.s. similar to this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Wise-8WP21-18S-Adjustable-Boat-Pedestal/dp/B001603LD6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448508704&sr=8-3&keywords=boat+seat+hardware

31RU5YNzXnL._SX425_.jpg

Yeah, my GF and I were fishing the river last year, we were above a shoal tearing up the trout. A guy drifts past us in a boat similar to mine and decides to go on down the shoal (rapids), got hung on a submerged rock and then capsized. I couldn't get to them. I told her sit down on the deck and we'd run back up the dock and tell the people who had a boat that COULD get to them. She says let's go, but she didn't get out of the pedestal seat. I told her again and she said she'd be ok. We motored up river a ways and my motor died, of all things, I later found a tick (dog tick) in the main jet. Anyway, when it died, the boat came off plane and she wasn't ready for it, and over the front of the boat she went and into the cold water. She's a confident swimmer and didnt' have any problem but it could have been a LOT worse. She wasn't happy but when she found out that it wasn't my fault she was fine, in about 5 minutes we both laughed it off. Yes we did get to the dock, and told the guys and they took off. About an hour later they came back up river pulling them in their boat, about 3/4 submerged. They were ok but shaken. Inexperienced on that stretch of water.

Fine to have pedestal seats but operator and/or passengers don't need to be in them while under way. Use common sense.

Prowler, find and read the Coast Guard regs. for yourself and then it will be clear. I have done this myself and the argument still arises.

There is no regulation only recommendations. The recommendation states that the Drivers position should be that it can be fixed in a forward facing position. There are other recommendations that also go along with the Driver position.

I have wedge type bases in my Alumacraft with a Class A pedestal for the driver and there is no mechanical lock. There is a Twist Lock that clamps the seat base so that it will not turn. It was made by Swivl-Eze.

I would not use the 3/4" pin type while under-way. If you can put the bases in a position where you could put the seats in them while under-way and still sit in the seats w/o the pedestal I don't have a problem with that.

Latest posts