Keel question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACAMS

Reaction score
HELLO .... new here, nice site!

I have a question I need help with and have googled until my eyes crossed.

I am building (putting together) a flat bottom river boat ... a 2000 Xpress 1546 with a 15" transom

It does not have a center keel rib and I have already read one of the problems is sliding in corners with a normal motor (boat is rated for 25HP)

I am putting a 75HP Evinrude Hustler short shaft.

I have searched for a keel strip to have welded on with no luck.

Now the questions!

Where can I get a good solid made weld on keel?

Should I go full length, or just in the rear?

Here is my boat .... I sure hope somebody can tell me what I need to do (besides not putting the beast on my boat)

Flat-001.jpg

There is an 11" empty space between the two center ribs

Flat-006.jpg

Flat-007.jpg

If your going to weld, just get some aluminum angle bar and make your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google "Ice Runner" They are lengths of aluminum angle welded to the bottom of duck hunting boats and are an option on Sea Ark's

I'm all for big motors on boats but the short transom will be the problem.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
You don't need to weld a keel on that boat.

With a name like RiverBottomOutdoors I guess you do that sort of stuff regularly!
I read reviews of my boat and several guys doing the review said they slide in the turns ..... are you familiar with this boat?
I would hate to put this big ol motor on it and find it walks me right up on the bank!
I would like to do all I can now before I put the console and motor and such on it.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Google "Ice Runner" They are lengths of aluminum angle welded to the bottom of duck hunting boats and are an option on Sea Ark's

LOL ..... still drew a blank, but thanks for the lead and I will keep on looking, but it looks like from what I read on another forum that it is just angle and I want something better.

I am also working on a 1994 Bass Tracker Tournament TX 17 and it has a riveted on NICE looking center keel rib ..... I wonder if Tracker will sell me one of those?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I'm all for big motors on boats but the short transom will be the problem.

Why's that?

We put a warmed up 50 short shaft on my buddies 1448 and it does fine and my boat has taller sides.
I gave him the 50 thinking I could build a 60 I have and still out run him ..... after he jetted it and put reeds in I am worried I can't, so I am going to use the Hustler!

That much weight on the back of the boat is going to have the top of the transom close to the water. When you come off plane your going to get a lot of water coming over the transom.
I'm guessing the 75hp motor is a long shaft? Are you going to use a jack plate? Any set back is going to have the transom even lower.

I don't think a keel will stop it from sliding when you're giving her the business with over HP motor. At least, not a proper keel for that size hull and hull type. Embrace the slide and learn to use it. I have a flat bottom jet drive and I love the sssssslllliiiiiidddddeeeeee, myself. My boat also has a keel.

Should also factor in hull thickness and the amount of flex at that seem. Could put a lot of stress at the welds for your new keel and result in cracks. Just something to give some thought to...make sure you covered all your bases.

It is a 15" motor, and I am thinking of setting it back about 4" so I can raise it up a little too.

I have a CMC tilt trim unit I am thinking about modifying to weight a lot less and be closer, and also relocate the pump to inside the boat.

The 15" motors are very hard to put tilt trim on and didn't come from factory with it.

I may just wedge it up a couple inches and call that good enough ...... still in planning stage!

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Embrace the slide and learn to use it.

+1 on the slide as fun. The trick is to cut the throttle when you done sliding, let the hull grab, then open it back up.

Looks like I will be sliding in the corners, as I decided to wait and see how bad it slides first!

I have had boats slide the corners, but don't really like it in a tight river.

I have been known to maybe overpower my boats as I had a 25 on my 1236 Monark

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Please post pictures of the build and videos of it running.

I started a build topic .... I need about $200 for gaskets and such to put engine back together, so I will probably work on the trailer and such till after Christmas.

Here is my topic
https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=39587&p=401837#p401837

Without any comments regarding the over-horse-powering of the craft...

I owned three Carolina Skiffs. All flat bottoms. No keel of any kind. All slid sidways. All were controllable by

#1 keeping the motor shaft deep enough into the water to act as a rudder
#2 Powering down before hitting the turn.

richg99

p.s. the CMC units are very good and adding tilt and trim is a plus for any boat, IMHO.