Trolling motor question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter1661

Reaction score
Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read my thread. I just purchased a 1650 Jon boat with a 20 hp merc. My current rig is a 1440 with 12V motor guide 43 lb foot controlled trolling motor. I am considering a 24v 70 lb thrust for the new boat as the 12v system left something to be desired even on a 14'.

Does anyone have any experience with a 24v system on a 16 footer? Need help easing my mind. Selling my current boat and need to decide quick wether to remove the 12v and install on the new boat or pay the price and buy two new batteries plus a new trolling motor.

So is it worth the extra weight? Worth the extra time on the water and extra power?

Thank you!

I recently purchased a 1648 with a 20 hp Honda and am planning to add a 55 lb thrust 12 volt trolling motor to it. Mostly mine will be used on the flats and a river that doesn't move very fast. It really depends on how much time you spend on the TM and how it's used.

Good luck.... I will be watching to see other responses to see if I need to adjust my plans.

Also WELCOME :)

Fishfreak has said it all....

" It really depends on how much time you spend on the TM and how it's used."

I have a 1648 Lowe with a 50 hp motor. A lot of my fishing is done on saltwater flats. Here, it is far more common to drift WITH the wind and cast ahead of the drifting boat. The trolling motor (12 volt, 45 lb) is really only there to adjust my drift, or move me slowly down a shoreline.

Hence, it is plenty of motor for me.

Yet, I've watched freshwater fisherman run the TM 100% of the time, always against the wind. No doubt that they need more power and more battery reserve, which is what a 24-volt system would add.

Different strokes for different folks...

richg99

Thank you guys, I am all fresh water, some Lake Michigan small mouth fishing, river fishing and as stated trolling into the wind. I am thinking a 24 volt is better suited for me but I just hate to add another 60 lb in a Jon boat. I am typically a pretty avid trolling motor user as these tin boats move quite a lot in even the lightest breeze. Leaning more towards a 24v. Anyone else have anything to add about their personal experiences?

I have NO personal experience with 24 volt systems.

From my minor electrical knowledge, it seems that a 12-volt system, with a single battery...will run (time wise) X number of hours. If you add another battery in parallel (still 12 volts) your RUN TIME will double to 2 X hours.

If you go to a 24-volt system, your POWER/SPEED will go up....but your run time will not necessarily go up, at least not as much as in the first illustration. There are efficiency gains in the 24 volt....that are not in my calculations.

So, assuming my weak illustration is correct, it is a choice of needing more TIME to run, or needing more Power/Speed.

I am hoping those with REAL knowledge of these two systems will pipe in soon.

richg99

I suppose i should take my electrical knowledge and actually put it to use. I am an industrial electric forklift mechanic. The 24 volt system is actually more efficient than a 12 volt. A 70 lb 24v pulls nearly the same amperage as a 55lb 12 volt. This efficiency increase should lead to longer run time. But I am no trolling motor expert. Even though electrical calculations are the same wether it's on a TM or on a forklift.

Used to have 18' Ranger Cherokee, 90 hp Merc, 12 volt 55 pound thrust Minkota. Plenty of power for me all day as long as the battery was in good shape. I always replaced battery every 2 years.

Don't know what you're working with as far as a trolling motor mount either - I had an issue with stress cracking in the aluminum front bench to which my trolling motor attached when I had a 80lb 24v on the front. It was just too heavy and damaged the bench bouncing around while trailered.

You will not be running a 70lb thrust motor on high drawing full current if you're trying to fish as your 16' boat will be doing 2-3 mph (I suppose you could troll, but even that is probably 3x as fast as you'd want to be going). So is your issue with the 43lb motor that it doesn't have enough top end power for what you need or that it draws too much current and you're killing the battery too fast.

If the max power isn't a problem (and it is variable speed) what size battery are you using? If it's not a size 29 you might want to address that. You can always rig 2 batteries in parallel. Both MinnKota and Motorguide make quick-release mounts for their trolling motors, you could inexpensively use the same motor on both boats buying only a 2nd battery, a quick release mount & an extra boatside base...probably $150 all in.

I think I'm leaning more towards a 45 or 55 pound 12 V motor. I fish a few horsepower restricted lakes so when I put my smaller motor on it would be nice to actually get on plane. If I have an extra battery they have your trolling motor plus another guy and our gear, not to mention a large cooler full of beer! With a 24 V, I might find myself happy with the amount of thrust I have in my electric trolling motor but unhappy in the amount of speed I have a lot of my gas motor.

I suppose my main concern isn't necessarily moving along quickly with it. It's more about having ample power when working into the wind, and being able to run longer. I suppose a fresh new 30 battery will work for that.

Bowhunter1661 said:
I suppose my main concern isn't necessarily moving along quickly with it. It's more about having ample power when working into the wind, and being able to run longer. I suppose a fresh new 30 battery will work for that.

If you want the power go with 70#. My 75# saved my *** last year when my motor went kaput and I was 5 miles down stream of the ramp. I would not have made it with a 55. Wind, weeds, logs and sticks....my #75 will drag my boat through some rough stuff.

FWIW I will be putting a 24V on my 16 footer, it will either be a 98 MG Brute 767V or a Fotrex 80. I have read too many horror stories about being stuck out on a lake in a Tin with the wind howling. Your not going to beat the power and speed of a 24V IMO
The two 31 series AGM Duracell batteries ($189 each at Sams ) will be placed in the front hull beneath the deck in a custom made tray to support and distribute the weight evenly.

Latest posts