Sea Nymph Fishing Machine 164

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straightaxle

Reaction score
Bought a Sea Nymph Fishing Machine 164 this last spring. Love the boat so far, it is a old boat and the floor is showing signs of some rot. So new decking will be in order. What is the best material to use? I would like to keep it light as possible all while keeping the strength. So plywood or aluminum? I do not have a shop to store the boat in so it sits in the weather. I am also thinking on going to a side console as the 25 that is on there is kinda anemic and want to replace it at some point. I fish lakes, tributaries and the Columbia River mainstream. Should I recess a fuel cell in the floor and the battery? I have already upgraded the bow plate to diamond plate. This is going to be my long term boat too.
Thanks
11224175_954016011310361_589739869515121608_n.jpg

10400018_950031851708777_2923544523888240086_n.jpg

10007507_950031828375446_8935055657353734991_n.jpg

That is a nice boat. I have a 1984 Sea Nymph Pike Attacker that I like and am redoing.

Don't know if you hull was built the same way as mine but you will find out. Replacing the plywood decking shouldn't be too difficult or very easy if the same as mine. Aluminum plate will last forever though it will be more costly. A side console also isn't that hard of an addition.

Lastly as for an engine upgrade for power and light weight the 40hp Mariner comes to mind. The 40-55hp OMC are all basically the same engine and weigh considerably more than the Mariner.

Keep your posts coming and I'll follow along!

The hull shape is very similar to a Smoker Alaskan. I really like it. The bow has a lot of lift, rides good and I like the way it handles in the water. I have not made any decisions to the engine yet. I know it will probably be a older two stroke in the 40-50HP range. We have a good shop in Portland that rebuild engines, I may just go there and see what they have. Living on the Oregon coast there is a lot of boat repair shops and metal fabricators, it is easy to take the existing flooring to use as templates for a metal floor. I do not believe the price will be all that bad. There really is noting I do not like about this boat.
11148760_914914371887192_4967194639978868840_n.jpg

19420_914914338553862_1383651044292468915_n.jpg

What year is that one?
Here is the one I'm doing right now. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=39165

straightaxle said:
Bought a Sea Nymph Fishing Machine 164 this last spring. Love the boat so far, it is a old boat and the floor is showing signs of some rot. So new decking will be in order. What is the best material to use? I would like to keep it light as possible all while keeping the strength. So plywood or aluminum? I do not have a shop to store the boat in so it sits in the weather. I am also thinking on going to a side console as the 25 that is on there is kinda anemic and want to replace it at some point. I fish lakes, tributaries and the Columbia River mainstream. Should I recess a fuel cell in the floor and the battery? I have already upgraded the bow plate to diamond plate. This is going to be my long term boat too.

I have a Sea Nymph 14R Big Water. Very similar looking to yours but I'm assuming 2 feet shorter.

I built a storage thing up front to put my fuel cell, life jackets and anchor in.

NkbNtAm.jpg

5jQeuF3.jpg

It really helped balance the boat out. The front end no longer lifts up so far when I get going.

Don't put your battery in the same area though. Enclosed space with gas and spark source is a big no no.

Have you considered repropping your 25hp? My 25hp Johnson will get my boat up to 26mph in chopping water per my GPS app on my phone. And that's with two 300lb fishermen in it. I've not had a chance to clock it on flat water yet.

bonz_d said:
What year is that one?
Here is the one I'm doing right now. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=39165
1983. That is a nice set up you have there!

lugoismad said:
straightaxle said:

I have a Sea Nymph 14R Big Water. Very similar looking to yours but I'm assuming 2 feet shorter.

I built a storage thing up front to put my fuel cell, life jackets and anchor in.

NkbNtAm.jpg

5jQeuF3.jpg

It really helped balance the boat out. The front end no longer lifts up so far when I get going.

Don't put your battery in the same area though. Enclosed space with gas and spark source is a big no no.

Have you considered repropping your 25hp? My 25hp Johnson will get my boat up to 26mph in chopping water per my GPS app on my phone. And that's with two 300lb fishermen in it. I've not had a chance to clock it on flat water yet.
I just put a new prop on the motor (1986 LJ the prop is a 9 7/8x12 unsure of spline count) it was the only prop the local prop shop could get in.

You did a great job on the decking. Looks really good.

straightaxle said:
bonz_d said:
What year is that one?

Thanks! Nothing special but it does fish very nicely and there is no fear in taking it back into the marshy stuff.

bonz_d said:
straightaxle said:
bonz_d said:
What year is that one?

Thanks! Nothing special but it does fish very nicely and there is no fear in taking it back into the marshy stuff.
I stepped up from a U151 Gregor, what a step up it was. MUCH more room and handles better too. These are great skiffs, seldom seen here on the west coast.

Latest posts