My 1974 Sears 16ft Aluminum Semi-Vee

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd in NY

Reaction score
I just picked this up last week on Black Friday. It came with a 1973 Evinrude 25hp motor and what appears to be the original Sears trailer. The boat measures 15'10" long and 65" wide. The hull appears to be in great shape, but it also appears to have had several paint jobs over the years. There is an un-readable plate under the capacity plate, but the capacity plate says that the max weight for persons is 750 lbs, max load is 950 lbs and max motor HP is 25. The only manufacturer listed anywhere on the boat is Sears, but I saw the exact same year and model boat on this web site that was made by Lowe, according to the HIN. Maybe that is the information on the tag that I cannot read. The capacity plate is attached to the original wood transom. This boat appears to be very solid and well-built. It came with 2 oars, an anchor, 4 Berkley rod holders, 3 removable padded swivel seats and a Garmin Fishfinder 240. I'll try to post some pics, and hopefully they don't get turned sideways by the internet "gremlins". The boat will be re-named "Rock Bottom", because she can be operated on a rock bottom budget. I plan to do a few modifications, but she is going to stay pretty basic. I'll put the Garmin FF up front for my son and I will install my new Humminbird Helix 5 DI GPS fish finder in the rear. I'll add a battery box and wiring, as well as some cleats. Painting the boat will be last on my list, and might not happen for a few years. I just want to take her fishing, maybe this weekend for some walleye and lake trout.
Sears1.jpg
Sears3r.jpg
Sears5r.jpg
Sears6r.jpg
Sears10r.jpg
Sears12r.jpg

Here's the link to the other 1974 Sears/Lowe boat that is just like mine, except for the fact that this member did a fantastic job restoring his boat, adding floors, storage compartments, new paint inside and out, and adding a bimini top, among other things.
https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38954#p395719

Ictalurus said:
Todd

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Nice boat!! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks! I promise it won't look as good as your '74 Jumbo-V. I don't have that kind of talent or patience. What is the best way to remove these 4 layers of paint? The outer layer might be brushed on because it scrapes off pretty easily. My HIN plate on the outside of the transom starts with LWN and ends with 16JV5, is that similar to what your boat HIN reads? I have been trying to figure out who made my boat, since they were made by several different companies for Sears.

Todd in NY said:
My HIN plate on the outside of the transom starts with LWN and ends with 16JV5, is that similar to what your boat HIN reads? I have been trying to figure out who made my boat, since they were made by several different companies for Sears.
LWN = Lowe boats, see below.

Link to USCG Hull Identification Number (HIN) database = https://www.uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification.php

Attachments

• HIN Database.JPG
    HIN Database.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 2,559
Wow, I guess I should post a pic of what my '74 Sears boat looks like now. I still love this boat! It has a Humminbird 959ci HD GPS up front and a Lowrance Elite 9Ti with Totalscan transducer at the stern. Still using my 3.3hp Evinrude, plus a 40 pound thrust trolling motor. I used Eagle Feet brackets to mount a board across the boat, which holds two manual Penn downriggers. This boat is a fishing machine and great to fish out of. The boat is really stable, even when standing up to cast and fish. Picture to follow...

A recent pic from June 2019. I put a new board on the back of the transom, 4 plastic rod holders, a new trailer jack, new winch and strap, and a new trailer tongue coupler. I've kept the boat very basic, and have no plans to add a floor.

ATTACH]

I couldn't believe how big that transducer was when it came in the mail, and how HEAVY it is. My Humminbird transducer is so much smaller than the TotalScan, and it also does down & side imaging. But that transducer is on my other boat with my Humminbird 1198.

We have several small lakes in northern NY that are 80+ feet deep and hold trout & salmon, as well as warm water fish. We love this boat for it versatility.

Very nice boat Chad! I wish mine was bare aluminum. It would look better than the 4 paint colors that are showing thru on mine. One day I might paint it, if I can get it done for the right price or do it myself. These Sears boats are really solid, or at least mine it. It's the only Sears boat I have ever seen in person. Max rated HP for mine is 25, which will get my boat up to 20mph (and that was with an old 1973 Evenrude 25hp motor).

Latest posts